Saturday 6 June 2015

Notion noun [plural nounnotions]
1.    A conception of or belief about something.
2.    an impulse or desire, especially one of a whimsical kind.
3.    Notions [plural]items used in sewing, such as buttons, pins,hooks.

 

I love sewing notions – and especially whimsical representations of them – like my ‘cotton reel’ which is Bob made as an occasional table, and my 'button' which is a necklace, [and my much loved, but sadly lost, 'zip-pull' ear-rings]

So I was really thrilled with a Christmas present from my cousin – ‘button drawing pins’ We were rather late exchanging gifts this year, which is why I have only just got them –but here they are up on the pinboard.



In case you are wondering, the pins are holding up the Periodic Table Of Sewing Elements – a fabulous chart which my friend Pat told me about [find it at the Scientific Seamstress here]



It is full of wonderful words from the sewing room – but when I looked at Ar, I wondered what armscye was. Another new word to learn – armscye means armhole – believed to be Scottish or Ulster dialect, from arm’s eye [Nana Go-go and Mags, do either of you know this term?]

Thanks for all the kind comments about my first Dorset buttons – I have to say they are a lot easier to make than I expected. The skill is clearly in creating the spokes evenly, and making the crossing place right in the centre. Practice, practice, practice!

5 comments:

  1. I'm from Ulster and have never heard the term armscye - despite having many relatives in the farming community who used lots of oldfashioned terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo - I sometimes think people make this stuff up!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I'd pay you good money for that table - it's my new favourite thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned a new word today! Did a search on the internet and armscye seems to be one of those technical terms that many of us don't know. Love your table! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I've never heard that but it sounds distinctly Ulster- Scots so I must get out of the city and ask around! Will blog about it this week and consult some learned seamstresses x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!