Wednesday 31 July 2019

A Rich Girls' Game?

The end of the month. Did you participate in Plastic Free July? I'm afraid I didn't, but I applaud the efforts of people like Kezzie and Bev who have tried incredibly hard to avoid all single use plastic, cut back on packaging and recycle other people's rubbish.
But I continue to be frustrated that it is jolly difficult to avoid single use plastic if you are also attempting to balance the budget. Since the children were tiny, even though our income then was very low, we believed it was right to buy Fairtrade foods, and free range eggs. It cost more, but justice and animal welfare were/are important issues. Similarly we opted for recycled paper products where we could.
But I'm so aware that it costs more to buy loose veg in many supermarkets. I may take my own box to the Waitrose deli and buy cheese for Bob - but the price per kg is considerably higher than the prepackaged stuff. We cannot all walk round the corner to a brilliant street market, where the cheerful trader will decant his cut price spuds straight into our cotton shopping bags. Fifteen years ago, I remember using a "weigh&save" store near Leicester Market, for dried goods. It did work out cheaper than the supermarkets. And in the last millennium we sometimes called in at a cooperative near Northampton which sold stuff cheaply and simply. But now so many similar stores are charging more for their goods. I guess that higher business rates etc make it harder for the retailers.
Furthermore I know that many hardworking low income families are short of time as well as cash, so pick up cheap fast food for their households - and that means more plastic, polystyrene and paper rubbish. 
What can I do? If I cannot avoid all the packaging, then I'm deliberately trying to re-use as much as possible. Plastic bread bags are taken outside, crumbs shaken out and then the bag is inverted and folded and put into a drawer to be used again. Foil bags from ground coffee go into the freezer, full of stock or homemade soup. Cardboard cereal packs are flattened for use in Crafting, and the inner bags go into the bread bag drawer for future use. Jars are washed out for storage. Rant: I'm saddened that nowadays so many glass jars with metal lids have to arrive with a nasty "tamperproof" plastic collar. 
But the whole "going plastic free" does feel like a rich girl's game sometimes. The BuyItOnce principle is all well and good - but you need money upfront to buy the better quality item. Farmers' Markets offer quality, locally produced loose veg - but at twice the price of the plastic bag of carrots in the supermarket. 
But it has been interesting reading the blogs this month and seeing how others have managed. I'd like HughFW to go back to his street and see how the residents are managing now. It has to be an ongoing change of mindset if it is to achieve anything. 
Crash diets may have a short term effect on weight and appearance - but all the experts agree it is longtime reformation of eating habits that keep people slim and healthy. Similarly we must all be more mindful of the perils of the Throwaway Society if our planet is to stay healthy. Much damage has been done - but we need to work together on this. Not just by remembering the 3Rs of reduce reuse recycle [now extended to 5,6,7...] but by trying to make it easier for everyone, whatever their income, to participate with us. There is no Planet B

18 comments:

  1. Another great post.

    If I have the money, time and energy to spend half a day per week visiting another town to shop at the market, health food and weigh your own shops then come home and make everything myself then I can be slightly lower waste on a budget.

    It takes quite a lot of planning and if something is out of stock, the price has increased, or if it's raining it gets quite a lot harder and is far less fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right TD - it takes time, energy, money AND planning. And if you have to travel a distance, then find the item is out of stock, you've wasted more energy and money than might have been saved if you'd just got the cheaper veg in a bag at Tesco. But I applaud your efforts

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes and yes. We are desperately trying to cut down waste and go as plastic free as possible but it's tricky when the local supermarket seems to be upping their use of plastic, were on a budget, the local veg shop only sells basics and reported that a local had asked him what a corgette was the other day. Our local refil store is 15 miles away. But we are making changes slowly and yes it does cost more. But we need to consider the cost in other terms. And that's the environmental impact of what we do. No Planet B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more people who change their mindset, the better it will be. It is sad that many people have such a narrow view of vegetables. I have watched schoolchildren at lunchtime- ok with potatoes, sweetcorn, peas and carrots, but anything else and they say "What's this, Miss?"

      Delete
  3. Yes, the carrots bought from the local farmer's market will cost a little more but will taste a lot better and will also contribute to the local economy. I think the knowledge about food starts at home in the kitchen where we can teach our children how to make something from nothing. Such a pity they've taken 'domestic science' off the curriculum in schools. I watched a prog yesterday about extremely overweight people, most of whom lived on benefits for one reason and another. One man did his shopping online and ordered £200 worth of food from Asda. There wasn't one piece of fresh fruit or a vegetable to be seen but rather a lot of plastic, mainly in the form of fizzy drinks bottles. The food manufacturers also need held to account for the amount of plastic that is being produced in order to keep our tomatoes perfectly red and round and our carrots all the same length. You can go to Lidl and Aldi and buy one of their £1.50 boxes of 'past-the-sell-by-date' of fruit and veg, supplied in a cardboard box. We need to educate people about all of this before it's too late. As you say, there's no Planet B. End of rant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BMAY - it was a very good rant, and I think the sooner children learn about food the better. Full marks to schools which run garden clubs, and where children actually do food preparation. Sadly for many, their parents generation have missed out so they do not always get the information they need at home. And yes, 'uniformity' is not an essential for good flavour. Wonky Carrots have a place in the kitchen too!

      Delete
  4. Hi...I am Kavitha and I live in Bangalore, India. I have been following your blog regularly for more than a year and really enjoy it.
    I am in total agreement with everything you've said in this post. Like you I feel responsible about the environment and do try to reduce the use of plastic but it does get difficult. Luckily, where I live all produce ie, vegetables, fruits and even rice and other grains are cheaper when they aren't pre-packaged. So, that's a good thing.
    I am happy to note there is one other person who re-uses plastic bread bags :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kavitha- I am glad you enjoy the blog. I know little about Bangalore, other than it is called the IT Capital of your country. So I guess it has some very wealthy residents, as well as more ordinary people. Good street markets selling cheaper unpackaged goods are brilliant!

      Delete
  5. I have just refused, for the third time, the nasty little plastic thingies proffered in M/S. I stated that I thought it was shocking that M/S could do this, but the cashiers are not allowed to comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for making a stand! I feel sorry for the M&S staff, they look really uncomfortable about the promotion.

      Delete
  6. I have been trying to do better at avoiding single use plastics for the past few months but it is very difficult and each week i'm shocked at how much I put out in the recycling! And I'm someone who doesn't buy a lot of processed or fast foods.
    The Guardian has had some articles this past month on this whole business of it being difficult for those on lower incomes and it really brings it home.
    Beeswax paper, reusable containers, metal straws,and organic foods cost a lot! And as you say, nt everyone lives in large centres where these sorts of stores are easily accessible.
    One of the major supermarkets here in Canada just announced this morning that plastic bags will no longer be available as of this coming February - they will offer paper or bring your own. It is likely that the other biggies will follow suit very quickly as we are moving to ban a lot of single use plastics as of 2021.
    The most difficult items to find are things like shampoo and other personal care items - I have some dangerous allergies and have to avoid highly perfumed items - so while some people have recommended stores like "LUSH" that sell bar shampoo - I cannot go within 100 metres of that store as the scents are so overwhelming! Some items are available in metal at specialty shops - but again, they are about 3 x the price of what I would pay in the local drugstore - and honestly, that is a major consideration these days. It shouldn't be this difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm avoiding metal straws- there was a very sad fatal accident locally, and the coroner issued a warning.
      I am glad your government is being proactive in plans to ban s-u plastics.
      LUSH stores do have an overpowering smell I agree. And healthcare products are perhaps the hardest to find in plastic-free versions

      Delete
  7. When we lived in Portsmouth we had friends who regularly visited family in Northampton. They used to bring me back jars of herbs from that shop! Can't remember its name though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! but it was superb for quality and value

      Delete
  8. Impossible to avoid plastics or other single-use packaging, With the exception of some fruit and veg, I can't think of anything that doesn't come in plastic, paper, cans or bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can, with proper recycling, make more use of paper, glass and cans - but plastic is the major problem. Or maybe the major problem is our casual use of it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I didn't participate in Plastic Free July. It is not always possible to be plastic free in our society. What I do is try to reduce my use of plastic when I can and recycle and reuse what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is SO difficult! So much of my success to do with plastic reduction is purely because of my geographical location and pure chance. I am fortunate that I work near international supermarkets where fruit and veg is loose in bowls for £1 so I have no plastic and it is cheaper than the supermarkets- similarly, in the town which is 3 train stops from me, there is a greengrocer where I can get veg from. I am fortunate that my husband is a pescetarian and doesn't demand meat or fish with every meal- he is perfectly happy with veg and lentils or beans. I am fortunate that I have a Zerowaste shop within a car journey of home to a place where CBC and I like to go for lunch. I am fortunate that we don't have children so we can afford to feed ourselves and not have to worry about all those extra costs. I am fortunate to be able to get to supermarkets where I can avoid plastic for fish. But it is not possible for others unless great change happens. I hope, oh how I hope that change will be initiated by government1!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!