Monday 15 July 2019

Spud-U-Like?

Always pronounced in our family as "Spud-oo-lickay" - making it sound like a greek word [for jacket potatoes perhaps?]
 You know I cannot bear food waste - so a few months back, when I realised that some potatoes had somehow been left in the garage, and had "chitted" themselves, 
I couldn't bring myself to throw them in the food waste bin. So I put some compost in an old dustbin, and then planted the spuds. And I've been watering them [with rainwater from the butt, naturally] and then this weekend I harvested them. 
Here they are -  a whole bowlful, I carefully washed and dried them.
I have 2kg of very good potatoes- and they grew beautifully with next to no attention from me [other than watering] I checked out supermarket prices, and this lot would cost around £3.50/£4. Bargain! 






I have already used the smallest ones to make a potato salad with mayo and homegrown mint, and served some of the middle-sized ones boiled with butter. 
Any other suggestions for preparing these freebies?

14 comments:

  1. Par boil the potatoes and then roast them in with your Sunday roast. They are delicious done this way. Just a slightly different taste on a roast potato. No need to skin just as they are. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a nice crop of potatoes without scab or other blemishes. Potato dauphinoise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, a lovely comment from an expert grower! I'd not thought of dauphinoise

      Delete
  3. Isnt it exciting when you harvest your own potatoes! No better way to eat them than with butter, salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you were able to grow potatoes! I've tried so many times, with no success whatsoever! I love potato curry, cooked with coconut milk and turmeric, or sauted spicy potatoes cooked with onions, chili powder, and spices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made a potato curry, must try it sometime

      Delete
  5. So glad you posted this. My Mother planted chitted potatoes in my sister's allotment to cries of 'they'll never grow'! They're coming up a treat now and seeing your bountiful harvest is inspiring! I would boil some up and slice them thinly and add to a Frittata?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pick them with a fork a couple of times, wrap them in foil then cook in oven till they are soft. After that open in half and place butter, cooked broccoli, cheese and salt. Take them back to oven under the broiler for the cheese to get a nice golden/brownish color. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be good for the larger o es

      Delete
  7. My M-i-L boiled and drained then melted butter on them with a good shaking of salt, pepper and oatmeal. Shame well together and serve. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!