Tuesday 9 July 2019

Clearing House

Definition; clearing house - 

  1. a banking organisation where cheques and bills are exchanges
  2. an agency which collects and distributes things, particularly information
Of late, this has definitely been a clearing house in the second sense.
I've collected bottle tops [and passed them on to Chris for holey-ness]
I've distributed photocopied frogs and pharaohs which needed cutting out for Kids Club , and then collected them back again, all neatly trimmed
And I've distributed and delivered all sorts of random items as I continue to declutter
The wool went to a lady who has just learned to knit and wanted something to practise with.
The Z-bed has gone to a young family who want it when the children's friends come for sleepovers.
The camping gear has gone to a friend from church
And the table I sold for £3 on Facebook Marketplace, to someone who wanted it for her wedding reception to display the cake. 

I said to Bob "should I give it to her for nothing, as it's for her wedding?" and he  wisely said "wait and see". In the event, I ended up delivering it, and her fiance was not exactly appreciative, so I just smiled and took the money. I have realised that some people on FB Marketplace are polite, and others are just plain rude! 
There is currently in the front garden, a dead dishwasher, which I hope will be going to the tip later today. The d/w has struggled on with numerous repairs, and bits of the inner fittings dropping off for ages. In the last few months it has definitely got worse, not always washing properly and being less than efficient. Then a friend from church said "Anybody need a new dishwasher?" and I suggested the one at the Manse was proving rather hopeless. My friend is getting a new kitchen which comes with a built in d/w - so has passed on her Bosch machine to us. [Technically, she's given it to the church, because it has gone into the Manse which is a church house] It is so lovely to have reliably clean dishes again!
I was talking with a friend on Saturday morning about it, and saying that we ought to be more ready to pass on things we no longer need. Twenty minutes later, I was in a conversation with somebody who is taking her family camping for the first time next month. And as yet has NO camping equipment. Bob and I were talking last week about clearing out our camping gear - so I said "Would you like a tent and some other bits?" - and now she has them. Let's face it, we bought that tent in May 2000 - and it hasn't been used for at least 6 years. We have had our money's worth, so I'm happy for it to go and be used. Someone else at church is lending her some kit too.
Why are we so possessive? I keep coming back to that Joshua Becker quote. Much of the stuff in our home is constantly in use, but there are items in cupboards which I no longer have a use for which could bless somebody else. 
The clearing continues...


4 comments:

  1. Well done for getting rid of things that can help others! It is good to be a blessing! I do find it hard if I think it won't be put to use! That's great you received a dishwasher in.return! I wish these items weren't so big! I just imagine a big landfill site where there is a cityscape of redundant dishwashers, washing machines, fridges and tumbledryers! Maybe it has created a home for some animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the Council Tips these days have designated sections for electrical goods/white goods/etc so that the component parts can be properly recycled. There's a lot of metal in a d/w!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passing things on that have still got a lot of life in them is proper recycling for me. We had my sisters old cooker for about the last 20 years - she got rid of it because she was having a new kitchen and a built in one. We had to say goodbye to it last week but I was glad that we were able to make use of it and save it from an early grave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely clearing house! I am glad you are able to bless others with items they need, which you no longer need. I need to redouble my efforts to clear my house!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!