Wednesday 3 July 2019

You Can't Win 'Em All!

I did my best with that milk-on-the-turn. The slowcooker custard was very good. I forgot to say that when I put it in the pastry case for the strawberry tart, I added some grated marzipan [which was in a small box in the fridge] and some cardamom. It gave a lovely Scandi-semlor buns taste.
But the yogurt did not work- it went decidedly peculiar. I drained off the whey as usual - and put the yogurt into the fridge. Yesterday I discovered the yogurt had separated and tasted odd.
I did suggest blending it with a few strawberries to make drinking yogurt, but Bob widely said that would probably be a waste of time and fruit. So we decided to cut our losses and discard it. 
The whey? well, I am afraid that is going the same whey!
There is plenty you can do with non-dodgy whey [here]
In baking, in place of water and milk. In bread making, and in cakes, scones, pancakes and any other baked goods in place of buttermilk. 
In cooking: a base for soups and stews. Cook potatoes and rice in whey.
In Drinks: Add the whey to smoothies in the morning for breakfast [extra protein]. Pets: Feed the whey to the dog or cat. 
In the Garden: Use whey diluted 50% with water to spray onto your vine crops such as pumpkin, zucchini and cucumbers to help prevent and treat powdery mildew. 
Freeze it for later use- don't throw it out - use it!
My other epic fail this week concerned butter beans [lima beans] I found a jar of dried beans at the back of the pantry.  Steph O'Dea's book had loads of ideas for using beans in the slowcooker, canned or dried. "If dried, first soak the beans in cold water overnight, then drain, and discard any which are discoloured, split or wrinkled"
Dear friends, I have to report that there were just three beans which survived this exercise. "When did you buy them?" said Bob. Well, they arrived in Dorset in the Kilner jar, having been decanted from the packet in Kirby. I would imagine I purchased them in the autumn [start of the 'soup season'] It's unlikely I would have bought them just before we moved house. Which means autumn 2013 at the latest - possibly earlier. So after six years, they probably were a bit stale!
Next to them on the shelf was a pack of pigeon peas [gungo peas]. These are much newer - but I think I shall use them up asap. There's a limit to how long a woman can go past the "best before" even for me, but I'll give peas a chance.

8 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile - the things we do in the name of being frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many blogs appear to be written by 'perfect' people, whose cakes always rise, whose gardens never grow weeds, whose houses are always immaculate and uncluttered and where it is always sunshine and roses. I think a bit of honesty about life, acknowledging mistakes, admitting to the bumps in the road, and tracing the rainbows after the rain can be an encouragement to everybody! PS continuing to enjo your blog, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite right Ang, don't we all make mistakes? I have just , almost, let a saucepan of apricots burn......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a packet of vegetable soup I'd bought in England and saved as a treat. It was a flavour not available here in the U.S. I thought dried "stuff" lasted for ages so I ate it and it was pretty awful, blah in appearance and taste. Then I realized I have had it in the pantry for 8 1/2 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8½ years is pretty good going. Now I am wondering what the oldest stuff in MY cupboards might be. Those beans weren't the only things that came in the Jan 2015 housemove!

      Delete
  5. milk on the turn makes the best scones

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also going to say that milk on the turn is the best for making scones. The acidity in the milk is absolutely just right for high rise scones which also freeze really well.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!