Wednesday 24 July 2019

Please Don't Tell The WI

The other Sunday afternoon, when Bob was watching the Grand Prix, and others were engrossed in Tennis or Cricket, I went into the kitchen and baked a cake. I decided on a simple Victoria Sandwich. I looked through a few of my cookbooks - and came across a recipe I had not used before. Nigella's VS recipe involved slinging everything in the food processor and pressing the button [forget creaming, and folding in the flour etc etc]
I was tired, it looked manageable - and I had some strawberries and creme fraiche in the fridge.
And it worked! If you chill your beaters and a metal bowl in the fridge, you can quite successfully whip creme fraiche to a satisfyingly floppy stage which works in this cake.
We celebrated all the sporting victories with tea and cake. Then I portioned and froze the rest before we were tempted to eat the lot.
All the cooks have their own versions of this classic [see here] Some insist you need to have the same weight of flour, sugar and butter as your eggs. Mary Berry has suggested margarine is better [but she's not consistent on that in her recipe books] On The Hairy Bikers programme, the WI lady said no vanilla and only raspberry jam. 
I liked this sponge, although it was a little 'softer' than usual [Nigella says that is because of the cornflour] Here's the recipe...

Ingredients
For the cake
225g unsalted butter, very soft
225g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
25g cornflour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3-4 tablespoons milk
For the filling
2-4 tablespoons raspberry or other jam, depending on the berries
1 punnet raspberries or berries of choice
125ml double cream
For the topping
1-2 tablespoons caster sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4. Take two 20cm sandwich tins (about 5cm deep), and buttered them. If the tins are loose-bottomed, you don't need to line them, otherwise do. [yes you DO, I discovered after they were baked]
To make this basic sponge cake in the food processor: put all the ingredients except the milk in the food processor and process till you've got a smooth batter. Then pulse, pouring the milk gradually through the funnel till your cake mixture's a soft, drooping consistency. 
To make it the traditional way (which is what I did): Cream the butter and sugar, add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour between each. Fold in the rest of the flour and the cornflour, adding no baking powder, and when all incorporated, add a little milk as you need.
Pour and scrape the batter into the tins and bake for about 25 minutes, until the cakes are beginning to come away at the edges, are springy to the touch on top and a cake tester comes out clean. Leave the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool completely. 
When you're ready to eat the cake, put one layer on a plate, right-way up, spread with jam and scatter fruit on top. Whip the cream till it's thickened but still soft and spread over the jammy fruit. Sit the other cake on top, and sprinkle over a tablespoon or so of caster sugar.

Perhaps, when we retire to Norfolk, and I have more free time, I should join the local WI. Do you think they'd have me?

9 comments:

  1. The WI would welcome you with open arms!
    Bet they would love to hear of your life in churches around the country too - you could become a speaker!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a thought - I'd have to change the names to protect the innocent, but I could call it "This Was Nothing like Dibley"

      Delete
  2. Your cake looks delicious! I love sponge cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have 'caster sugar' in the US- I never seem to see it mentioned in American recipes [It is finer than regular granulated, but not powdery like confectioners/icing sugar]

      Delete
    2. It is known as "super fine sugar" or "baker's sugar". Regular granulated sugar can be processed to make caster sugar in a blender/coffee grinder/food processor.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that, Bless. I'd misunderstood and I thought superfine was the same as icing sugar

      Delete
  3. I think the WI would have you running things very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Nana always used the basic 4x4x4x4 recipe and would not have had access to such 'exotic' ingredients as vanilla and creme fraiche and certainly could never afford butter, using instead the ubiquitous Stork margarine! Her cakes were always best sellers! My MIL always used olive oil instead of butter for her VS (Sicilian-style) and the taste was excellent. I said to my youngest sister 'I think I'm ready to join the WI' and she replied 'but are they ready for you'!! I haven't joined yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum used Stork - or its even poorer relation "echo" margarine. I enjoy sicilian food (blame Montalbano) but hadn't considered putting olive oil in a VS

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!