Saturday 6 July 2019

Adobe Air



I didn't have a title for this post, but I was playing around with anagrams. Adobe Air = Brodiaea. That is a flower I had not heard of till yesterday. Brodaea, also known as Triteleia, and popularly called "The Cluster Lily" is, it seems, a member of the Asparagales family.
But whatever their complicated classification, there they were, in tight bundles, in the flower section of Sainsbury's. And they were so BLUE - an amazing deep inky blue, like the Quink I used to have in my fountain pen at school. It's my turn this weekend to arrange the flowers in church. So I bought some - along with other blue flowers [irises and lisianthus], and took them to church.
When I purchased them, they were in tight buds, and as I started arranging them in between the creamy white chrysanths and roses, it felt like embellishing some white lacy embroidery with lapis lazuli seed beads. They soon began to open and display their lily-like characteristics. I hope it is not too hot in church over the weekend, so that they stay fresh and beautiful.
On a different note entirely, I spotted another confusing car park sign this week. I have often watched shoppers with huge trolleys in IKEA, B&Q, Homebase etc letting their children ride on the carts even though these ones are clearly not fitted with a child seat. I saw this sign in a carpark, and thought it might mean "Do not let your children do acrobatics on the trolleys"
But turn it the correct way up, and you realise it is simply another version of the "parent and child parking" notice.
Like Macbeth, I think I must be suffering from "a false creation, proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain". It has been hot here in Dorset
I was going to say "I hope you are all enjoying the sunny weather, and not suffering too much with hay fever." Then I remembered that many of you are outside of the UK and your weather is very different. Bless has experienced two earthquakes in California this week, and I hear that parts of Canada have been unseasonably cold. 


4 comments:

  1. It has been too hot here for a couple of days, but is alittle cooler now.
    Gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada is such a large country that our weather can vary by a lot from place to place.
    Here in Toronto the weather for the past week has been hot, humid & hazy - very typical for here. It's been around 30C for the past week but feeling closer to 38C with the humidity and the sun has been very intense! The humidity is to break tonight so next week will be between 25C and 29C with lots of sunshine but no humidity which will be gorgeous.
    Hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blue! We have had strange weather here in Texas-it's only just now getting really hot. Usually we have consistently hot weather by the first of June. It was nice to have a long cool Spring, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely flowers and the flower arrangement is gorgeous, too! We've been riding out the earthquakes! I'm very glad that the epicenter is far enough away from where I live (about 150 miles) that, although we feel the shaking, we've had no damage in my area.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!