Monday 8 July 2019

Dancing A Holy Jig

It is eight years since we made snakes at the Holiday Club in Kirby Muxloe. 



We're doing it again here in Ferndown this summer. If you want a tutorial, it is here. The folk at UCF have been equally brilliant at providing bottle tops and corks from wine and champagne bottles. One member went to a wedding, and asked the waiters for all the champagne corks.
I have to say a huge thankyou to all those who have donated these, and the shoelaces. One lady even gave a large bag of odd laces she had kept in a drawer for years "just in case". Such donations keep the costs down [we run this club as a free event for our community]
But the prize to the Holiest Man in the Church has to go to Chris. He set up a jig in his shed, and has drilled around 4000 holes!
The little wood piece holds the bottle tops so a perfectly central hole can be drilled. He constructed other jigs to hold the different sized corks.
What a star!
It was great to see his system on Saturday, and also watch to Tom The Tortoise eating lettuce and flowers and walking in the garden.
Chris and Carolyn inherited Tom about 5 years ago. She is around 60 years old. When they acquired Tom they took him to the vet, who said "HE is actually a SHE" - but it seemed a bit late in life for a name change. I learned some interesting tortoise facts - Hibernation - the vet says you can put the pet in the fridge for the winter, it means she is kept at a constant temperature [this one has a box] Personally I wouldn't feel happy about refrigerating my pet!
Water - I asked if they had to put a saucer of water down, especially in this hot weather.  No, I was told, she gets all the liquid she needs from her food. At which point Tom demonstrated by produced a very copious amount of wee, all over the patio! 
I'm truly grateful to Chris for his holey efforts with the tops. This time I am using little pearl eyes for the snakes. These are from Hobbycraft, cheaper than goggle eyes, and self adhesive. They peel very easily from the backing sheet. I spent a few minutes drawing on the pupils with a Sharpie. Only three weeks till Kids' Club., and craft preparations are almost done!

4 comments:

  1. I still smile and think fondly of the Bottle Top snake kit you sent me after my almost complete snake got chucked out! That's excellent that the community provided those resources for you! Good call on the pearls-they'll look a bit more sinister with pink or blue eyes!
    I used to stab my bottle tops with an old Biro to get the hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, I wouldn't mind stabbing three DOZEN tops with a biro - but I draw the line at three THOUSAND!

      Delete
  2. THREE THOUSAND??????? ARE YOU KIDDING????????
    It's lucky that you have a whizz on the jig to do those!!!x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!