Saturday 9 January 2010

How To Recycle A Mince Pie

I am indebted to my friend Carole, whose recent comment regarding ricotta and Yorkshire Curd Tarts inspired this idea.

Take some leftover mince pies

DSCF1116

With a sharp knife, carefully cut round the lids, remove and discard**

DSCF1117

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the filling and place in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine one beaten egg and 2 tbsp leftover ricotta cheese. Stir in half the mince pie filling. [Discard** the rest] Beat well.

Put a generous teaspoonful of the curd mix into each case, grate a little nutmeg on top.

DSCF1118

Bake till risen, and the tops are just firm and golden brown.

DSCF1119

These were delicious served warm - despite the peel, Bob greatly enjoyed two at lunchtime!

[**discard in this recipe means 'throw some out for birds, eat some as cook's perks']

That has recycled eight of the leftover pies - and all my leftover ricotta.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds & looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever idea, but I can't fathom anyone having leftover mince pies. Before I had to give up eating wheat I would have given my right arm for a mince pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you able to make wheat free pastry, Tina?? I do feel sorry for people whose diet is restricted like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what you were going to suggest when you wrote about recycling mince pies! My son always wondered how I could take ALMOST any kind of left-over (I call them planned-over because I have plans for those left-overs!!) and make something improved and delicious out of that. Always a challenge and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Discard" the pastry tops by throwing into the bin? A much kinder suggestion would be to put them out for the birds. Birds are really struggling to survive in this colder weather, please put out food and water for them. They need water not only to drink but also to bathe, they need to bathe to keep the insulating qualities of their feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Point duly taken - post therefore amended! Thanks for this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this tip ,-cottonreel

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!