Tuesday 22 October 2013

I'm Gonna Learn How To Fly!

Do you remember the film “Fame” back in 1980? All those crazy legwarmers worn by Irene Cara and co as they danced…

fame

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly--high!
I feel it comin' together
People will see me and cry.
Fame!
I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame. Fame!
I'm gonna live forever
Baby, remember my name

My October knitting project has been legwarmers for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. People with CF are being encouraged to bounce regularly on a trampoline. This allows them to keep fit and healthy, while having great fun at the same time - it helps to clear mucus from the lungs, which can attract infection. With over 9,300 people in the UK suffering with cystic fibrosis, a condition which affects the lungs and digestive system, the active benefits of trampolining are being advertised as a top exercise.

Many children with CF have outdoor trampolines, and manufacturers “SuperTramp” have asked people to knit legwarmers to keep children's legs and ankles warm during the colder months.

CF legwarmers

The Cystic Fibrosis Trust, which was founded in 1964, has supported excellence in research and clinical care, as well as providing practical support and advice to people and their families.

Sue Piper, the trust's senior fundraising manager, said: "We know that families with children who have cystic fibrosis often use trampolines as a fun way to help them do their daily physio and we're delighted to be part of this wacky challenge to the nation's knitters."

Each week five babies are born with Cystic Fibrosis and two young lives are lost.

Trampolining really does help sufferers bounce back to health.

IMG_0895

I have made five pairs. The pattern was very straightforward, and used chunky wool – so there is no chunky left in my stash now!

Only two months left now, of my Knit-Through-The-Stash-For Charity-Challenge and I have two more projects lined up.

Apart from one ball of pink wool [so that I could make three scarves for the July Cancer project] I haven’t bought any wool for these charity knits. So why is my stash still so large? I suspect I may have to keep going with the knitting into 2014. This site will help!

 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely knitting, and such a great idea for people with CF to exercise in a fun way. Can't wait to see what else you have lined up for the next two month's of the challenge. Isn't it funny how the stash doesn't seem to get smaller despite lots of knitting, must be some sort of unwritten law in operation, I have the same problem (OK, it's not really a problem as such, is it?). Thanks for the link to the charity knitting site too, I'm glad to see Oxfam are back on board with accepting hand knits. If readers want to join in with charity knitting they may find that local causes accept handknits, which means no postage to pay, try Women's Aid for Afghans (lap blankets), local hospitals for preemie/ stillborn/baby knits, old people's homes & hospices for lap blankets & bedsocks. Our local hospital takes teddies (Teddies for Tragedies pattern) for child patients, and the Operation Christmas Child shoebox appeal always wants hats, scarves, gloves and glove puppets (no hand knitteds stuffed toys, which could cause problems with the entire shipment at customs) to augment the boxes. Lots of lovely knitting opportunities. Great post. Have a great day, Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I had no idea that trampolining was such a good exercise for people with CF. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. seem to remember when leg warmers were fashionable first time round it was suggested that makeshift patterns would be any jumper pattern and use the sleeve pattern wrist to arm hole finishing with rib. Seems that dimension is right and I refuse to believe I am the only person who needs a pattern to function.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!