Monday 2 September 2019

HH & HB

That sounds like it should be two pencils - but it isn't. It stands for Helen Howes and AitchBee, two gifted textile artists I met whilst we were on holiday. But like pencils, these ladies are also sharp, straight to the point, and create the most beautiful images. 
Prior to the holiday, Bob had read about a Sculpture Trail, so we set off early to find it - and in the adjoining courtyard there were some shops, including this amazing quilter's paradise.
Here you can buy fabrics, have your machine serviced, buy readymade quilts and smaller items - or just revel in the colour, the patterns...
We delayed the trail until I'd had my fill of browsing and Bob had checked out the other little shops.
As well as quilts, there were also fantastic kites in rainbow hues of rip-stop nylon. And look at those lovely interlocking block quilts, reminiscent of the art of M C Escher.


At every turn there was so much to take in - and very reasonable prices too - especially when you consider the hours of work it takes to make these pieces.
After a while, I dragged myself away and went to the coffee shop - where Helen and AitchBee currently have a display of large and small quilts and other pieces - all for sale too...
I love their bright, modern style. They really bring the age-old techniques into the 21st century with clever use of pattern and colourwork.
This 'forest' quilt hanging over the cafe counter was Bob's favourite. He said he could just see that hanging by the new sofa at Cornerstones!

I liked the rainbow forest best - but I know he is right - that would be just too colourful for our lounge!
You can find Helen's website here. AitchBee gave me her details too, but I seem to have left them behind in Norfolk. 
The cafe display runs till the end of September. Much of the stuff in the shop is reduced at the moment. 
It is glorious - a real riot of colour and design. If you are anywhere near the Raveningham Centre NR14 6NU, do drop in and have a look.
Did we buy anything? 
Unfortunately the budget wouldn't run to the forest quilt, but I got some bias binding [which proved useful a few days later when I was called upon to hem Gary's trousers] and Bob bought two sewing machine foot pedals from the 'bargain bin' [something to do with guitar effects, he isn't taking up sewing]
Thank you HH & HB for brightening the world with your superb stitchery.
Update - please see Helen's comment below - and visit SOON!



5 comments:

  1. What lovely quilts! That sounds like an amazing shop, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing place for a visit - so many colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I don't think it is too far from you, close to Suffolk border. Well worth a day trip - tea room is good!

      Delete
  3. I would have wanted to stay there forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you for such a nice review, but I must add that the shop will close forever on 31st October, as I am downsizing to become pretty much a sewing-machine-parts person, teacher, and maker still, but not a retailer. Sculpture Trail finishes on September 8th, and the cafe exhibition on the 29th September
    HH

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!