Tuesday 10 September 2019

Life Worth Living

I try and keep my blog positive, and upbeat. But today I want to be more serious. This is World Suicide Prevention Day. Over 6000 people in the UK committed suicide last year. That's more than 16 lives lost every day of the year. 

In my life I've known a number of people who have attempted suicide- sadly , some of them succeeded. My heart aches for those left behind. 
So often the person concerned is lonely,  in real despair and has nobody to talk to. A few years ago, just before Easter, I received an email. It was from a person - a complete stranger to me - who said she always read my blog. Her life was in a mess, she had sorted out her affairs, written the necessary letters etc, and planned to take her life on Good Friday. She said she wanted somebody to pray for her, that God would forgive her - and wondered if I would do that, please - she knew from my blog that I was a Christian. 
I assured her of my prayers, and asked a few more questions, and saying I felt that her decision to end her life might not be the only way forward. She lived a very long way away - but I sent her details of people near her who could help with her particular problem. I heard nothing more, and I struggled through Easter, constantly thinking of her and praying. Three weeks later, she emailed again and said thank you,  things were improving, she had found the urgent help she needed. I heard nothing for five years. Out of the blue, a long email, again saying thank you, explaining how everything was better, friends were helping and life was bright again. Whenever I remember her, I pray she is still going on OK, and thank God for the good support she found locally.[Maybe she's reading this] For a brief moment, I was a tiny link in that chain which helped her hold on.

We can all be part of the chain. If we are concerned for our neighbours, then we need to be brave enough to gently start the difficult conversations. Groups like The Samaritans are there to help. If you are worried about someone, they will advise you. 
A few years ago, a young woman went to the station with the intention of throwing herself under a train. Someone noticed her and started a conversation - and now she is working to help others in a similar situation, and her story inspired this brief, but brilliant, video  Read more here.
There are also some excellent and helpful links on the Shoebox blog this morning Click here

Many people at the moment are expressing despair about life, and the future. Brexit, Climate Change, Economics... some of them are really struggling. Look for the warning signs. Be brave, start a conversation - it might save a life.


13 comments:

  1. What a blessing that you were able to help that person who contacted you and asked for prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the only thing to do. You would have done the same, I know

      Delete
  2. My cousin's husband committed suicide, one of many farmers. The effect on his family was devastating - he had two teenage children - so sad.
    Thank goodness that person contacted you - a cry for help that you were able to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the NFU is really concerned about mental health issues/suicides int he farming community. We saw lots of messages about the help available, on haybales in Wales the other week.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story with a positive ending though it could have been so different. Wherever I am, in a queue, waiting at the hospital or elsewhere I tend to smile and start a conversation with the person next to me. If I see someone stopped in the street, struggling to breath or walk I always ask them if they are OK and need any help - I have walked many an elderly person home with their shopping and made numerous new friends. Often you hear such sad tales from them about how alone in the world they are.
    My neighbours daughter committed suicide at only 16 and a family member did so last year even after much help was given. It only takes a small gesture to connect with someone - it is becomming a thing of the past now to pass someone in the street and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friendly smile and a simple word is all it takes

      Delete
  4. Angela, I'm so thankful that you were there at just right the time and answered her. I have a family member who is struggling so I understand all too well that depression that turns to those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoughts and prayers with you and yours- it is so hard supporting those we love through times of depression

      Delete
  5. What a timely post and how wonderful that you were able to help.
    There has been a lot on the news this week about this subject and even our Public Transit - TTC - has decided to go public on the issue. We would hear announcements about delays due to "an injury at track level" and everyone knew that it meant someone had jumped. A few months ago signs went up on all the platforms about thinking twice and that help is available etc. and now they have decided that they need to do more as it isn't just the person who jumps and their family that needs help but also the poor train drivers and even people on the platforms that witness the jump. And one of the hospitals that specializes in teen suicide prevention has announced a new program that includes all family members as a means of helping.
    It seems to be more and more of an option for people these days - especially the young who just don't seem able to cope. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right to mention ALL the people who get caught up in this tragedy. Good to know that you have similar support programs in Canada too.

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful, Ang. You are wonderful x The charity PIPS is selling lovely wooden speech bubble brooches on Etsy. The bubble just says, “Stay”. They want it to be a conversation starter as well as a fundraiser. I bought some for some teenagers I know who have been to dark places of thought. There’s always hope xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mags - I just looked at their website. https://pipscharity.com/ I love the idea of the brooches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the brooches are here https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/717677504/stay-wooden-pin-badge-mental-health?show_sold_out_detail=1&bes=1

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!