Monday 30 September 2019

It's Just One Thing On Top Of Another

Last week was a bit tiring, so I was Very Sensible, and on some days, I had breakfast and then went back to bed for an hour or two and Rested Properly. This included dozing, and reading trivial bits of the news which usually pass me by. Like The Fashion Pages. I know that you, good readers, usually have your minds on higher things so I thought I'd summarise the AW trends for you [once I'd worked out that AW = Autumn/Winter as opposed to SS = Spring/Summer. Initially I was concerned that SS fashion was about Nazi Uniforms] The key word this year is LAYERING
Pieces here  and here explain it all. Basically, you wear one item on top of another. Here is one of the examples from the catwalk. Quite frankly I think this looks dreadful [the model doesn't look too happy about it either]
But do not worry if you haven't got a complete set of oversized garments in BS381C Roundel Blue, you can use clothes you already have [NB Bob does have can of paint in this colour, as it is the correct shade for restoring vintage Record Vices]
However, you can put together items you already have to get The Layered Look.  A jumper over a shirt, or a jacket over a shirt over a vest.
Forgive me for being dense, but isn't this what I've done for years? Especially when going into strange schools where I have no idea about the heating. Will it be hot or cold? Layers mean I can adjust my clothing for most comfort.
No Angela, you may have the correct combination, but you haven't mastered the details. You need to learn The French Tuck. I kid you not - the final part is to twist a bit of your jumper into your waistband.] Check out skinny jeans woman , left, and short trouser lady above.
I suspect I would end up looking like an untidy Year 4 pupil who had dressed in a hurry after the PE lesson!
I am just not cut out for this sort of thing. 
Layering has been popular for years on The Big Bang Theory
Here's Sheldon and Penny
Although I own a number of long- and short-sleeved tees I've only worn them once in Sheldon-style. [and that was at a public event in December when I wanted to keep warm, but also display my 'Love Ferndown' top]

Penny is much more stylish with her layered vests. Sometimes Penny looks so like my Steph it is uncanny, and I know Steph could really rock this style. She's definitely the Fashion Queen in this family.
The important thing to remember is this - by all means add layers, and definitely keep warm, but keep it in moderation. And gently remind your Friends to do the same. 
Be like Penny, not like Joey!



6 comments:

  1. if only oversized clothing wasn't the trend, we could all look a lot better too layered or not. doing things up works wonders too, something our mothers nagged us about (do your coat up)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did make me giggle! That blue suit is soo unflattering on the grumpy model! They do say silly things sometimes. We all know about layering but I suppose they've got to say something, even if it is banal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post - tears are rolling! I trained and worked in Fashion so can understand your shock at thinking we have all been layering for years - we may have but now you see it is fashionable and OK to layer...and 'on trend' as they say (hate that phrase)...the trick to getting a really good layered look is to always wear the larger sized piece beneath the smaller. Notice too the trouser length at half mast - so many more people will be in fashion now without realising it.
    The Paris and London fashions that set the trend have to be over the top because by the time they are watered down and copied for the high street there are only 'more wearable' elements left! I worked in dress patterns for a long time and we had to water down even more so that people could actualy make these new fashionable looks themselves.
    Happy layering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are listening to your body. Your fashion comments made me smile. I don't know why models have to look so miserable maybe they are hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Fashion has finally caught up with how I dress most of the time! Imagine that! :D I am not sure about that French tuck, though! My tummy is too big for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fashion world is a mystery to me, thank you for some clarification, I think. In our family my husband and I are referred to as Penny and Leonard. Our personalities certainly fit the bill, not I should make clear, some of the other shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!