Thursday 13 June 2024

Mice!

I think mice
Are rather nice.
Their tails are long,
Their faces small,
They haven't any
Chins at all.
Their ears are pink,
Their teeth are white,
They run about
The house at night.
They nibble things
They shouldn`t touch
And no one seems
To like them much
But I think mice
Are Nice 
Skye reminded me of this lovely little poem by Rose Fyleman [thanks, Skye] . Over the weekend, in between working out to fold forage caps, and manipulate wax washers and cotton reels into tanks, I made two prototype mice, using my new book [yes, I ordered my own copy, 2nd hand online] They both came out around 6½" tall
Prototype 1;  I used some white curtain interlining [because I have loads of this, it was free] This was not 100% successful, as the woven fabric distorted when I was stuffing it, and frayed too easily. It had a strangely fluffy texture, and would have been better for sheep than mice, I think. I didn't have any fishing line, so improvised whiskers with beading wire - which bent too easily out of shape. Time to make -2½hours
Prototype 2; I'd bought a pack of cheap felt [with a high %age acrylic] to get different flesh tones for my Egyptian Puppets. So I made a second mouse using that. It worked better, but still went a bit fluffy when handled, and stretched when I was doing the fiddly head shape. I stopped before doing the nose and whiskers. Time to make - 1½ hours
Clothes;  I made the red felt blazer, and a blue cotton dress, using patterns from the book. They came up rather too large [that blazer is pinned at the back for the photo]  I think I should have had a greater seam allowance! Time to make -  less than 1 hour
Conclusions
Better felt will give a more professional result, I think, especially if I am planning to make and sell these. The instructions are really good [except for the seam allowance advice] with clear photos
Sue Quinn recommends cotter-pin-joints for arms, legs and head. I didn't want to go down that route. Too fiddly and expensive. My friend Wendy from craft group makes lots of rabbits, and just stitches the limbs on. It seems to work - I don't need these to be poseable.The pattern is designed to be machined - and that really does speed up the process.
Sue recommends forceps for pulling the pieces through [so seams are inside] and for pushing in the stuffing. I use a bamboo chopstick for stuffing memory bears. But forceps?
That's OK, said Bob, what size do you want - and went out to the Lathe Palace where [surprisingly]  he has locking forceps in three different sizes [Is he practising brain surgery out there, do you think?] The little 4" ones were perfect for the task. 
I shall find some fishing line, and have ordered better quality woollen felt*.and start designing a few different garments. But it is a good start, and I hope I will get some made for the shop in the autumn,
* on Tuesday afternoon I turned on the TV to the Create and Craft channel- which I rarely watch. There was Corinne Lapierre - who designed my Advent picture kit She was launching her latest book, and for one day only her packs of felt [wool/viscose] were on special offer. How cool was that? I had just finished sending off my order, when someone emailed me asking if I could make felt mice, as she has need of some for a special project she is doing. I replied that it seems the way was already being prepared, and sent her the picture.
Thank you all for the lovely comments yesterday about the Cross Stitch.
My stats have gone back up again, so I hope that means people are getting my posts on their feed.
I'm certainly getting Sue-In-Suffolk again [and other favourites] who had 'gone dark' last month.

28 comments:

  1. Aren't they CUTE!!!??? All the stars aligned for you yesterday clearly!! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some locking forceps in my sewing kit to use as needle grabbers when the going gets tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure these ones will be going back to Bob's toolkit anytime soon

      Delete
  3. And the CL felt really is lovely and a joy to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye the felt in my Advent kit was excellent quality

      Delete
  4. Of course I immediately clicked on the link and saw your new book in the Paris and Flower Market article and thought...
    "Having projects in mind is the best anticipation, almost as nice as having completed the project." :-))) And the fact that you have already finished the two prototypes is simply wonderful.
    They turned out great and incredibly cute... it's going to be a hit!!!
    I also think that the quality of the felt and fabric is very important so that they look beautiful for a long time... and are also high quality.
    Good luck... lots of joy to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Viola. I love the ceramics you have pictured on your blog this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about felting some old woollen items? Your mice are delightful. Would love to see you on the GBSBee next year! (Ps I don't pay attention to stats anymore, I don't blog consistently enough to mind but I am polite about reading folks' blogs and leaving a comment. Not everyone applies the same blog etiquette, I've noticed over the years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a black jumper waiting to be felted - but I don't want to make a rat [maybe a mole?] I wouldn't go on the GBSB - it's not something I'd enjoy doing, as I feel the judging is more about 'good tv' than true sewing skill

      Delete
  7. Your pair of mice look very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are mean't to make mice! I laughed about Bob and brain surgery. Isn't it wonderful to have a husband that can supply everything from support, encouragement and the exact right implement when required? I too am blessed as you in that respect. The mice look very good and I can imagine once you use the better felt they will be great. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  9. 🐁🐭I'm doomed to be caught in a mouse-trap! 🐭🐁

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mice are so sweet, I'm sure they will sell well.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve just last week bought a pair of these arterial forceps-Norrie then asked for a pair too! Lovely wee mice and well done on persevering. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps he should get a larger size then you can mix and match

      Delete
  12. Your two mice may not be up to your standards, but they look lovely posed in their finery. With your skill, I am certain that the coming versions will be even better. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have plenty of patience! The prototypes look great and it is obvious that with quality fabric you will be able to create super mice! Keep an eye on Bob, you never know what he is up to in the lathe palace. Of course the NHS probably does need help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll keep practising. Not sure that Bob's many gifts are appropriate for the operating theatre though!

      Delete
  14. I think YOUR mice
    are more than nice.
    As they stand
    they both look grand.
    I'll surely hop
    to your shop,
    to buy some mice
    who are REALLY nice.
    Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend FD
      You're a poet I see
      When the mice go on sale
      Be sure I won't fail
      To give you a shout
      Before they sell our!

      Delete
  15. They are so cute! I am sure they will sell well!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!