Saturday 1 June 2024

More Fish, Fewer Chips

The good news is that I returned from the Paris exactly the same weight as when I went. That's despite the massive Iles Flottantes, and the baguettes and croissants etc. [and the fact that we travelled mostly by bus or Metro, because Bob was not really up to walking]
The bad news is that my weight is still higher than I want it to be. 
I have really enjoyed the food we have eaten in Paris - especially that most of it was freshly made, non UPF stuff.
Bob, being Type 2 Diabetic, wants to make sure he eats wisely too.

I listened to an interesting programme on Radio 4, about Universities which are transitioning to entirely plant-based catering over the next 5 years. They are ditching animal products to help tackle the climate crisis.
Like all these programmes, the contributors were carefully chosen to present a 'balanced viewpoint'. It didn't help that I found the arguments of one of the vegan speakers unconvincing, and he didn't seem willing to listen to the other guys!
I heard it whilst driving home from Sainsburys, where I'd just done a major foodshop [all fresh food having been eaten up prior to the holiday]
I am not altogether sure that removing all non plant based foods from Campus is altogether helpful. That is basically taking away people's freedom of choice. And if you are not eating any animal protein, you need to eat a balance of complementary proteins to ensure a truly healthy diet. Would students bother? And if there are 'meat substitutes' [with names like What the Cluck, Tofurkey, FakinBacon etc] are not many of these produced in factories, and end up being the UPFs that we are supposed to be avoiding? 
I learned that I am now a reducetarian. Along with about 40% of the population. I have reduced the amount of meat products which I consume. Apparently we are also called flexitarians. The King is one of us, having two days a week without meat or fish, and one day without dairy. 
But whilst I am happy to up the quantity of veggies I eat [especially when I have grown them myself] I am aware that I need to maintain a reasonable protein intake. I cannot just fill up with salads and carb-laden potatoes. And a  piece of fruit is less fattening than an apple pie, or a rhubarb crumble. 
Furthermore, I am aware that in many ways, it is better for me [and the planet] to eat fish than red meat.
My Sainsburys trolley [I managed to save 10% on the final bill with various carefully managed Nectar offers] contained lots of seafood - kippers, smoked salmon [I love the trimmings snipped onto scrambled eggs] tuna, and mussels. I already have white fish fillets in the freezer. 
I still enjoy my dairy stuff - 'proper' milk in tea and coffee, and homemade yogurts [although my cheese intake is very limited] I do like eggs - and yes, I know, technically they are not 'dairy'. But we will definitely be having a Chippy Tea less frequently in future!
How can we balance a responsible attitude to climate change, and to eating sensibly - and especially, how can we do this when we have very busy lives, and small children with us at the meal table who are frequently quite fussy about what they eat?
Years ago, my daughters pointed out that when I eat a meal, I usually leave some of the potatoes till last. Why? It took me a while to work it out - as a child, the rule was 'no pudding if you do not eat all your meat and green veg' and if I ate the potatoes first, they filled me up too quickly. So I always ate the meat and green veg first, in order to ensure I got my pudding later. And I have never broken the habit!


26 comments:

  1. Contrary to the anti-meat religion, it now appears from recent research that grass fed cows actually reduce the overall methane production of the pastures. Less methane is produced by the cows than is generated by the decay of the grass that they would have eaten, and their dung provides free organic matter to improve the state of the pasture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a simple black&white issue, is it? Another person on the programme pointed out that fresh green beans flown in to the UK have a massive carbon footprint [I was shouting ”grow your own!" at the radio]

      Delete
  2. My daughter recently attended a work-related conference where all the meals provided by the conference organizers were vegetarian in order to reduce the carbon footprint of the conference.

    I wouldn't consider myself a reducetarian; I still eat animal protein with most of my meals. But, I should try to eat more vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter says the university where she works now caters ALL conferences with a vegan menu, because it makes it easier for those with religious principles or health concerns [eg lactose intolerance] to know all the food will be acceptable

      Delete
  3. I agree that lots of meat substitutes are UPP and therefore not a healthy choice. We too eat less meat than ever and are trying to eat less all round except for very occasional treats. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie has just commended me for having peanut butter which is palm-oil free! We all need to be mindful

      Delete
  4. There's some sense in catering organisations in schools and workplaces switching to vegetarian/vegan meals, provided that they are carefully thought out and nutritionally balanced, as that way they can cater for all religious dietary laws without the customers having to be continually checking the components of the menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed (see comment from Bless and my reply above) As you say, careful planning is important. A continual.diet of cheese sandwiches is not healthy!

      Delete
  5. My reservation about meat-free school meals is that certain essential nutrients are missing from virtually all vegan/vegetarian diets. I would prefer children to get such nutrients from their meals rather than from added supplements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what one guy on the radio said (he was called Will too. It wasn't you, was it?)

      Delete
  6. Catching up today on missing a whole weeks blog reading!
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks if we could all eat a little more simply it would be a good start. However I do get a bit fed up feeling that I can't put much in my mouth these days that someone, somewhere would disapprove of 😉😜😄
    Also sad that these days a lot of towns don't even have an independent greengrocer anymore - and yet we're supposed to be eating more fruit and veg.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really annoyed when we picked up a meal deal in Asda main+ drink+ side. We each took a sandwich, a bottle of water, and then, from the third unit, a piece of fruit from the top shelf. The self-service till wouldn't recognise 2 meal deals. We called an assistant. He said that despite the apples and satsumas being on unit 3, they did not count. The sides were either crisps or a chocolate bar. How is that helping people to be healthy?

      Delete
  7. I personally think food waste is a huge problem. We eat all types of meat, fish and cheese, but I buy alot from the Flashfood app that sells near the best before dates of perishables from our local grocery. 50% off. I love veg and salads, but make my own dressings. Fruit is only 1 serving per day, and baking is a treat. I do make my own bread, but eat it sparingly. I pressure can a variety of beans, and use lentils and split peas alot. I have used intermittent fasting and low carb to lose weight and have maintained a 40lb loss for over 7 years. I find it much easier than calorie counting. We tried vegetarian for awhile, but I was shocked at the amount of prepared foods that seemed to have a huge amount of chemicals in them...so we stopped. I think the trick is to learn some basic cooking skills and shop wisely. Barb from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on maintaining a good weight. And I agree , it is appalling that worldwide, more than ¼ of food goes to waste.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on not gaining weight while eating delicious items on holiday!
    If only we all loved cooking, we would avoid UPFs, but I sneak processed food into my cart, like a tourtiere once in a while (meat pies of any kind seem to be like a magnet), or a frozen pizza. I do find myself sadly putting things back on the shelf, like the chocolate covered marshmallow puff cookies that had a lot of "stuff" in them. I used to love things like that! I'm still trying to shop and cook wisely, limiting meat, eating fish, eggs, pulses, and making sure we have plenty of veggies and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat pies are such a comforting food on a cold day...

      Delete
  9. I think it is a win for the UPF food and drug companies that real food is being removed from universities.
    We have gone back to the whole foods Mum and Granny would have recognised, cooking from basic ingredients and using the healthy weekly WW2 ration portions for fat, dairy, and meat.
    Our meat ration is £2.50 each per week, plus 4oz of bacon or ham occasionally. We have plain or smoked fish most weeks.
    My weight went back to normal with no effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to read. Have you looked at Carolyn's blog , "the Ww2 experiment"?? By eating as per the national ration plan, she lost a substantial amount of weight

      Delete
    2. Sorry, wrong name, it's "the 1940sExperiment"

      Delete
  10. A lot of vegan alternatives are UHP foods. A pity as I love them! I love beans and lentils as alternatives but I can't eat too many lentils as they actually give me some tummy/gut issues which is v frustrating. I still eat them but have to ensure I'm not out and about too much the next day.
    I agree about Food Waste being a big issue. I think there are so many levels to the eco-crisis but too much meat is a problem- CBC and I don't eat loads if meat- most of the time we are pescetarian/veggie but I do enjoy a nice meat fish sometimes when out. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You grow some of your own veg too, Kezzie, which is good - it doesn't travel miles to get to your plate AND the gardening is good exercise. Win-win!🥔🥕🫑🥒🍅

      Delete
    2. Not doing very well so far...haven't germinated anything myself, just been given some plants! Luckily, the self-seeded Chard is still going strong! Can't think how much money we've saved eating that!

      Delete
  11. Well I’m sure everyone is fed up with me banging on about being Type 2 diabetic and lifelong vegetarian but it’s the carbs that are a no no for T2. So no pasta, rice, beneath ground veg or bread. I find lack of read sooo difficult and do have a few slices a week. Only apples and berries for fruit, all other too high in sugar. As you say, thinking about every morsel that goes into your mouth is anxiety ridden. So it’s live yoghurt, salads, soups, homemade so no salt, or pulses and NO treats, not even a small slice of homemade cake. An anxiety ridden boring existence. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds incredibly restrictive . Are you unable to take any medication to enable you to eat some carbs? Or have you chosen to avoid the tablets? I am so sorry that your meal times are so stressful. Having watched various family members facing different dietary issues over the years, I appreciate the impact it has (often affecting the people round you too) ❤️

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!