Tuesday 18 June 2024

Peace Like A River

I was in our little Museum on Friday, and had another look at the Picturing Peace exhibition. This time I remembered to take a picture of my friend Clare's piece. It is a watercolour painting on top of the words of a hymn. It's often called "Peace Like A River" or sometimes "It is well with my soul"
Clare is an extremely talented musician, and an accomplished artist. If you do not know the story behind this hymn, watch Hugh Bonneville explaining it here.
May your day be full of joy and peace...


14 comments:

  1. I knew a Clare Welfare who was a very good oboist- she was in my sister's year so should be 48 now, and we were in Youth orchestra together for a couple of years. I wonder if it is the same one? She came from Redbridge originally.
    The painting is really beautiful! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ask her!! Age seems right - she plays organ/piano at church where Bob and I preach regularly

      Delete
  2. That's very lovely, very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you that was joyous. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know the story - told very movingly by HB, and it makes what I've considered a bit of a saccharine hymn much more palatable! Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing the story makes a huge difference

      Delete
  5. The painting is beautiful and the hymn with its story had me in tears throughout. What a wonderful production, the choir even looked perfect with those identical dresses and each woman with matching pearls! Glorious. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. The true story and hymn are very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this story about the hymn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read the story behind the hymn/music/artwork - it makes it so much more meaningful

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!