Friday 14 October 2016

And The Prize Goes To....Mr Zimmerman

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
BLOWIN' IN THE WIND, 1962
Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside and it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'
THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' 1963
 
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin'
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it's a hard, and it's a hard,
And it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall
A HARD RAIN'S A-GONNA FALL 1963
 
Far between sundown's finish an' midnight's broken toll
We ducked inside the doorway, thunder crashing
As majestic bells of bolts struck shadows in the sounds
Seeming to be the chimes of freedom flashing
Flashing for the warriors whose strength is not to fight
Flashing for the refugees on the unarmed road of flight
An' for each an' ev'ry underdog soldier in the night
An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing

CHIMES OF FREEDOM 1964























And now he is a Nobel Laureate! Yes it is a controversial choice- but as the man himself said - don't criticise what you can't understand. 

4 comments:

  1. It's a well deserved award. yeah, for Bob
    Dylan who certainly shaped my life with his music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agree with Christina's comment. Positively 4th Street made a big impression on me and I played it over and over on my Dansette record player until I knew all the words. His collaborative with the Traveling Wilbury's in the late 80's was also amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike. I've done a Dylan post today too. I like yours. It's inspired me to go and listen to a song I've never heard before. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, everyone. Bob Dylan - Nobel Laureate has a nice ring to it...

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!