Friday 7 October 2016

Porridge!

 I haven't watched any of the new 'Porridge' sitcome on TV - and I admit I didn't watch that many of the original series either. I was a student then, and didn't have much access to TV [how times have changed]
But it is October and we are well into the having-porridge-for-breakfast routine. I cup of oats, 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of water, plus a pinch of salt [and it has to be the stainless steel measuring cup which makes exactly the right amount for the two of us] into the pan, and cook till done!
I am indebted to my friend Jim, from Living Wittily, who pointed me to this informative website about porridge nearly ten years ago. Not only did I learn much about the health giving benefits of oats - but also added a new word to my vocabulary - panicles [these are the clusters of grains at the top of the stem]  Quick pause for a burst of Hot Chocolate's song "I believe in panicles..."!
The worst thing about porridge is cleaning the pan afterwards. My preferred approach is the moment the porridge is served and the pan is empty, I fill the pan to the top with warm water and leave it to soak 
[after running the washing up brush round the rim, to dislodge any spillage] That way,  even if we are in a rush to get on with the day, nothing sets like concrete, and can be easily cleaned later. Years ago Liz brought a poem home from school which we all loved for its glorious onomatopoeic language. It is by J A Lindon, and called "Sink Song"


Scouring out the porridge pot
Round and round and round!

Out with all the scraith and scoopery,
Lift the eely ooly droopery,
Chase the glubbery slubbery gloopery
Round and round and round!

Out with all the doleful dithery,
Ladle out the slimy slithery,
Hunt and catch the hithery thithery,
Round and round and round!

Out with all the obbly gubbly,
On the stove it burns so bubbly,
Use the spoon and use it doubly,
Round and round and round.

3 comments:

  1. I make mine in the microwave in a pyrex jug. Easy to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem/song! I think I'll have a bowl of oats this morning! Happy Friday, Ang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband doesn't like porridge so I make mine in the microwave in a measuring jug which is really easy to wash out. I did enjoy reading the poem : )

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!