Friday 20 November 2020

A Close Shave

I don't usually promote specific products, unless I think they are very good. And I would never accept payment from a company in exchange for promoting something. But here's an item I read about in September, and treated myself to in October - and now feel it's worth mentioning. It's as girl thing - so blokes out there may wish to go and watch Big Clive on YouTube instead.

I've got a new razor. For fifty years I have tried various methods of removing unwanted hair - depilatory creams which dissolve, rotating epilators which grab the hairs and rip them out, razors with 1/2/3/4/5 blades which shave and cut....[I am a coward, I have never had waxing, and too mean to pay for laser treatment] Honestly the best results for my legs and armpits have been achieved with a low tech razor. BUT I resent paying the "pink tax" - women's razors always cost more. For a long time, I've kept a cheap pack of plastic disposable razors in the bathroom cabinet. But that goes against all my attempts at being green.

Sali Hughes, in the Guardian, lauded the Estrid Razor. A Swedish design, it is vegan [what?!? You can't mean a razor made of carrots and not bacon?] It is vegan  because the lubrication strip is aloe vera and other plant based lubricants like cocoa butter and shea butter. The handle is steel - and ergonomically designed to feel good in your hand, with a rubber underside. And it's recyclable.

The starter kit includes a handle, two blade cartridges and a suction cup to mount the razor on the wall. At £7.95 it is half the price of other similar products. And there is the option of subscribing to get replacement cartridges [you choose the frequency] You can choose from a selection of five cool colours, I opted for peach. 

I am really pleased with my new razor, it certainly does the job efficiently and painlessly. You can read more about the Estrid here 
It was created by women to meet a perceived need. But there's more to it than that. From every purchase from the company - starter kits, replacement cartridges and their other products a donation goes to one of three women's charities. Estrid support Kvinna till Kvinna, Terre Des Femmes and the Fawcett Society   - all groups which work to educate, emancipate and empower women, as well as fight FGM and other cruel practices. 

This ticks so many boxes for me. So I thought I'd mention it...you might want to put it on your Christmas list











3 comments:

  1. It sounds great! I must confess rhat I'm still usinh the pack of plastic razors that someone gave me in a Christmas present 10 years ago- I'm not going to throw them out as that wouldn't be eco friendly. The one I'm currently using has been in use for about a year and a half. Is that too long? it seems to get rid of the hairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it works and it isn't rusty, keep using it.

      Delete
  2. The razor does sound like a worthy product so I'll remember it.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!