Monday 30 November 2020

Advent At Home #1 - Hope

 It feels very strange this year - normally I make sure all my 'home' preparations are done before Dec 1st - cake made and iced, cards written, ready to post, decorations up by the beginning of Advent, and presents sorted and wrapped. Because Bob is Pastor of a lively, busy church, our Advent is always full of Carol Services, Christmas Productions, the local Tree Festival and other Community events, and various festive meals and church social events to organise and/or attend. And the great preChristmas Open House - every year since 1986.

But this year...no events, excepted online [and much of it prerecorded] no post-Christmas family get together at Cornerstones - the girls, their blokes, my bro and family [and this year, two grandchildren]... Everything feels pared back, slower, quieter. For many people there is sadness because of all they cannot do, for the loved ones they cannot meet and hug. There is anxiety about the days ahead - are things going to get worse not better? How long must we go on like this? Will it be a 'proper' Christmas? 

Tinsel, turkey, mistletoe kisses, family trips to the panto, even Christingles and school nativity plays... lovely though these things are, Christmas will still be Christmas even if they don't happen this year. I believe the message of the angels wasn't an ephemeral Ho Ho Ho! but an everlasting Hope Hope Hope! 




12 comments:

  1. For years we've been told to scale back on the preparations and focus more on the real meaning of Christmas. Maybe, this year people will be able to do just that. My hope for this Christmas is that there will be peace and a sense of unity and community among all the people of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, a great post and I agree about Hope. I was also going to write about Hope (after watching the Ferndoen service yesterday!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your Hope-Full post. Very pleased you could watch our service!

      Delete
  3. Well said. And a lot of people that I've spoken with recently have expressed much the same thoughts - that a scaled down Christmas may not be a bad idea after all.

    I enjoyed a lovely Advent service online from my church yesterday and we will also offer a lot of different opportunities to celebrate online throughout the month. I will start my cards today and the only small gifts to purchase are some gift cards - it is a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little late to the party this year but could you include me in your link up please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added you (hope I put the right link, let me know if it should be the other)

      Delete
  5. Ang, thank you for this. These posts are so much a part of my Advent now! Is it too late to join the party? I've just put my Preparing for Advent debrief up. Thank you for being and bringing a blessing in this strange time x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been such a strange year and made more sad to me by the passing of both my grandmother in the spring and then my mom last week. Thankful for these pauses in Advent.

    Would you be able to include my blog in your weekly blog advent posts? Thanks, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Terri, so sorry you have lost both in the same year. Praying that you are surrounded by loving friends and family - close in spirit, even if they cannot hug you. I've added you in xx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!