Wednesday 24 May 2023

Gallic Shrugs

Defined as a nuanced gesture with myriad meanings. Stick out the lower lip, simultaneously raise eyebrows and shoulders, and voice a nonchalant "bof!" 

The classic nonverbal communication of the Frenchman saying Not my problem!
You see a lot of these shrugs on the Netflix comedy "Call my Agent!" This series is set in a French casting agency, showing the complex relationships between actors and agents.
After our daughters recommended it, we started watching, and find it very clever. The actor playing the main role, 
Thibault de Montalembert, bears an alarming resemblance, imho, to Roger Allam [perhaps they share a barber?] Below, RA left, TdM right. 
The other great thing about this show is that many of the actors are famous actors playing cameo roles as themselves 
Audrey Fleurot, Sigourney Weaver, Juliette Binoche and Jean Reno for example
We're still in Series 1, there are at least three more to come. Light hearted humour, great fun, and loads of shrugs. 
Meanwhile, out in my raised bed I have been growing French Breakfast Radishes. It was great to get home on Sunday afternoon, and see them shrugging their little crimson shoulders out of the earth. 
Unfortunately I can't currently eat them in my favourite way [dip in butter and salt, then crunch!] but I hope to work round that. Any good ideas? 
Bon Appetit! 




12 comments:

  1. Can you make some sort of blended pate with the butter and radishes?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your radishes look good. I like them roasted - would that work for you? Nx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could feel my teeth saying ouch in sympathy with yours at the thought of crunching anything just now! Would grating them coarsely with the butter and salt be an option? I don’t like the taste of radishes so I’m not much help to you today. The Scottish equivalent of the gallic shrug is to raise your eyebrows and say, “Aye, right”. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU Catriona, Nicky and Anon for these tasty sounding ideas. I could make a 'fresh' patรฉ with grated radish, butter and salt - or maybe with roasted radishes I'd get a smoother blend... And yes, I heard some "Aye, right!" remarks last week in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in Scotland can 2 positives, make a negative X

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the information about the series. So sad you can't bite into those wonderful radishes right now, I hope you still find a way to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning to try the ideas suggested above. Bob's eaten some and says they are lovely ๐Ÿ˜‹

      Delete
  6. I've added radishes to soups (I don't like raw radishes); if you didn't discard the tops, they are edible, too, and can be sauted as greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of putting radishes in soups. Good idea, Bless

      Delete
  7. I haven't perfected the Gallic shrug but "Bof!" has certainly entered my vocabulary. I use it more as a mild expression of annoyance ("Bof! I've left my handbag upstairs" "Where's Mr FD put the car key? Bof!" ) than an expression of "not my problem". Alternatively, I use it as a replacement for "meh" (see https://fatdormouse.wordpress.com/2021/04/13/bof/) Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am disappointed to read that your shoulders are still in training, but pleased you use Bof!! My daughter's use Meh! more than I do

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!