Monday 22 May 2023

My Future Career As A Supermodel

... won't happen now that I've bashed up my face! 
I said that to the doctor as she stitched me up last Monday. Not that this wrinkled little old granny expects to be on the cover of Vogue anytime soon. Then I read about Martha Stewart. At 81 she has become the oldest woman ever to be on the front of USA "Swimsuit 2023 - Sports Illustrated" Magazine. 
Does anyone else think this is quite an odd thing to do at her age? "I gave up bread, alcohol and pasta, and did extra Pilates, to get in shape for the photo shoot" she said "and I did NOT have Plastic Surgery - although I admit to 'fillers'" 
OK let's believe her. But I've seen other recent photographs - either this one has been retouched or she's been very carefully made up [or both] Also, why the weird pose? It certainly doesn't show you what the swimsuit is like - you can't see the bottom half at all [horrors! Is it a thong?] 
And why is she draped in an orange duvet cover? Is this covering up her unattractive bingo wings? Or worse, her prison "tats"? 
Please Ms Stewart, stick to creating dinner party recipes and making nifty craft-punches. 
And what is this image saying? That women in their ninth decade should aspire to scantily clad sexiness? If she is dressing like this to 'please herself' then I think she should keep it to herself. If it's to please men then I think she's setting a rather bad example to younger generations of women. 
I keep coming back to the words in 1Peter3
Your beauty should not be dependent on an elaborate coiffure, or on the wearing of jewellery or fine clothes, but on the inner personality - the unfading loveliness of a calm and gentle spirit, something very precious in the eyes of God. 






22 comments:

  1. I don't think the swimsuit is a thong; there are other pictures of her wearing it and several other outfits, in some of which her upper arms shown, uncovered. If she has bingo wings or prison tats, then, they are not noticeable in the other pictures, unless they were airbrushed out. It's funny, but, I have no issues with anyone posing in a swimsuit, no matter what their age or figure; unlike I do with people using planters in the shape of heads of religious figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally with you on the misuse of faith symbols as garden ornaments. I do suspect some airbrushing on Ms Stewart tho!!

      Delete
  2. It's unbelievable she is 81! And yes, a very strange thing to do.
    That Peter quote is a good reminder. One I should remember more.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quote is a good one (let us not judge by the colour of the lipstick, but by the content of the character, to misquote M L King)

      Delete
  3. My first thought was that the swimsuit needed a better bra part! She’s doing it for money and the whole thing smacks of every kind of artifice that could be used. Happy, healthy 81 year olds are plentiful and keep that way by living well and keeping healthy-they may even wear a swimming costume and go swimming. Definitely not a good example to women of any age! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, we're being a little harsh and judgemental. I doubt she did it for the money. She has lots. I think she did it for fun. To prove you're not over the hill at 81. As for setting a bad example for her peers, not many 81 year olds aspire to this. Her life, her decision. Elaine (in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Elaine for putting a different take on this. I'm less concerned about ML setting a bad example for octagenarians than for those younger women who are struggling with body image, and those feeling pressured into "looking good" in order to find/please a man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even with airbrushing (which MUST have happened!) she looks good for 81. And I guess she did it to show she looks good. Good for her! But I agree that maybe it puts undue pressure on us all to look this good in a swimming costume. I certainly don't - but then I wouldn't be willing to give up pasta and bread so to do! Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a balanced response FD! [I'd expect that from you] If I get to 81, I hope still be able to enjoy bread and pasta.

      Delete
  7. I certainly hope nobody anyhwere feels pressured to look that good (agree about the swimsuit bra!) and surely she has on a wig, but who cares? It's her life and suppose she hoped to proove a point of some kind. Me? I'm okay with me, thank you! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not at all tempted to airbrush myself and be a model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a wise and gracious lady - with a beautiful spirit. And an inspiration to many

      Delete
  9. Well, she has the sense to cover up her wrinkly arms (I'm 81 so I know what I'm talking about). But I really don't like Sports Illustrated Swimsuit magazine or any other magazines that focus on women more as objects than as people. I don't know what the other photos are like but I am sad for her that she felt she needed to do this and pose immodestly, as she is a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree the pose is very awkward. It looks like her bare stomach below the suit, but I guess that's her thigh? I've always somewhat admired her. If she'd been a man, her brashness would have been hailed as a "go getter business" type. I don't think I'd have liked her personally, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that often people reach the top by climbing upon others below them

      Delete
  11. It's the first time I've seen this photo of Martha Stewart and I agree there must have been a lot of airbrushing to achieve that effect. I guess if that's what she wanted to do it's fine for her, but I hate the pressure that these type of pictures puts on others to aspire to this kind of non-aging aging. Age and experience should be revered as it is in many cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just caught up with this - had to say I loved the blog post and the mixed opinions in the comments,. For me, well, I'm about 20 years younger than MS and my glamorous days are well behind me but good for her, she gave us all food for thought didn't she? :)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely food for thought, as you say

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!