Wednesday 17 May 2023

Things Can Only Get Better...

Warning - don't read first paragraph if you are squeamish. Monday - the Emergency Dental Clinic in Perth gave me at 10am appointment ["You are a trauma case, we'll fit you in as fast as we can"] Wonderful Chris did temporary repairs to teeth, and took X-rays. The first one encouraging - no sign of fracture or root damage. Yes I have lost the bottom bits of my upper incisors, but they can get rebuilt/crowned. Second X-ray of my lip was worrying. Lots of dental fragments embedded in the wound. He arranged for me to go to maxillofacial unit at the hospital in Dundee in the afternoon. Gifted Sri Lankan doctor Navini performed necessary surgery to remove everything, and stitch me up. Normally they would ask me to go for a postop checkup. "But I live in Norfolk, England. 400miles away". But the senior surgeon was born in Essex and said he knows the "MaxFax" team at Norwich very well, and would be happy to pass me on to them to check me out. My Norfolk dentist has given me an appt. for when I get back. 
Better news - woozy from anaesthetic and with many stitches and a huge "trout pout" I went with Bob back to Perth to see our nephew and family. [the October Wedding] They were so kind, and I enjoyed a small bowl of custard. Gillian said that the drive up to Dunkeld - through Glen Almond- was lovely. 
Tuesday dawned bright and beautiful. I had painkillers and scrambled egg and we went up to Dunkeld, Jeffrey's Furniture Emporium was quirky. The papier mache fox holding business cards was wearing a stunning embroidered satin coat. It came from Paris, and was not for sale [it cost the owner £4500!]
On to lunch in Pitlochry. I had excellent soup eaten slowly, and tore up my bread into tiny bits [like a strange Baptist communion "croutons"] so I could eat it with minimal mouth action. 
I was definitely feeling brighter, although smiling was still painful and I was very aware of my stitches. We drove on to Aberfeldy by way of Dull. Yes, Dull, a small Scottish village twinned with Boring, Oregon. Seeing a sign for cafĂ© I urged Bob to turn into the car park. Splendid tea and cake at the Red Deer and Safari Centre. I managed ¼ of Bob's coffee and walnut cake. And 1½ cups of tea. Not at all dull
The swelling is going down, things definitely improving. We drove through Aberfeldy back to Crieff. 
A lovely day, glorious surroundings, and a lazy evening in front of TV with my knitting. Bliss! Thank you again for all the kind words, loving thoughts and prayers. 









28 comments:

  1. I'd have taken to my bed after all that to-ing and fro-ing for medical attention. Well done all those who looked after you so quickly and efficiently. Take it easy Ang. You've had a traumatic experience and so far away from home. If I lived nearer, I would have come to help unreservedly.Dunkeld was just on TV the other night as one of the best places to live in UK. I needn't have worried about you not being able to visit it from your injuries, you made it after all! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunkeld WAS pleasant - but not sure I'd want to live there! It seemed a bit too "touristy" [and a cup of 'artisanal' coffee always costs more!] We lived the scenery though, and people were very friendly

      Delete
  2. So glad that you have been taken care of and wounds tended to so promptly, Angela. And you seem to be still managing to enjoy your holiday! I would have taken to my bed and complained of not feeling up to doing anything, under similar circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself of Rosie's phrase "We are not made of sugar, Grandma" This is our first proper holiday for so long, I'm not wasting it

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you were in good hands with the medical teams but slightly balked at the dental fragments sentence. Sending you much love.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful they knew how to resolve the situation!

      Delete
  4. So pleased to hear you are on the mend. Knowing you I am not surprised that you are making the best of things and pressing on with your holiday! Take extra care of yourself and enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I hope you, Paul and Emma are well.

      Delete
  5. I hope you feel a bit better each day, thinking of you. We went often to that lovely area, self catering many years ago, and have lovely memories. Our sweet collie dog, Flossie came with us, and loved her walks by the river,and we sometimes saw salmon leaping. One Sunday evening we went to a little church in Glen Prosen. Their advertised service was in aid that evening of Guide Dogs for the Blind. .It was a special evening. The scenery is healing,and that will help. Do take care. Love and God bless, from Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabel, you are right, the scenery is healing, a balm for the soul. The Guide Dogs service sounds very special.

      Delete
  6. So pleased to read that you are still enjoying your time in Scotland. Our NHS comes up trumps once again. How lucky we are to have it. Hope you continue to progress well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must fight to keep the NHS at all costs

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, I've been away for a few days and now just catching up. That sounds like a horrible fall. I'm so sorry! Thankfully it sounds like you are recovering, though it must be hard and painful. I'm impressed by how well you're coping while on holiday! Falls are so disconcerting emotionally as well. I hope you heal quickly, and future dental work isn't too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob is incredibly thoughtful and patient. Each day I'm feeling less emotional (I was weepy and stressed on Sunday) I am fortunate in having a good dentist back at home

      Delete
  8. So glad you were treated quickly. Such a terrible accident whilst you were on holiday too. A similar thing happened to my younger daughter when she was an18 month old toddler. She tripped and fell straight on her face and her upper lip was considerably torn from her mouth (luckily at this point her teeth were only just coming through late so these were not affected). Where her lip was just seemed to be a big hole to me. Luckily the lady with her was a nurse and coped much better than me! As not all her lip was still there the surgeon at the hospital had to sew back on what was left and could only do it without anaesthetic. They would not let me be with her either and took her away but I could hear the screams from the other end of the hospital - we were both traumatised! Her lips were huge afterwards and she had to eat and drink through a straw. She always had three little pointed bits in the middle of her mouth rather than just the two but over time the scars faded and now she is 40 you would not know anything had happened....such a skilful surgeon. Hope you are on the mend quickly - sending prayers. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, how distressing for you all. I am so glad all is ok now!

      Delete
  9. You are grand, And. You didn't let this accident stop you enjoying your holiday. I bet you will find you have lost weight with the soft diet you are eating presently! I am so glad you are still going strong. Love JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't considered how this diet would affect my weight!

      Delete
  10. So glad this next step is over with so you'll be able to heal without xtraneous bits of bone inside. Good, too, that you can have follow-ip appts with your own dentist!
    There is a lot to be said for delicious soft food!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Continued healing wishes for you. Glad the holiday is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Aberfeldy from many years ago. The scenery in that region was so lovely. You are very brave coping with such pain on holiday and I do hope it will be much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not very brave, I've had some weepy moments! But keeping going by the grace of God

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you had the royal treatment from those excellent health care providers. I'm so glad that your wound has been thoroughly sorted out. Excellent news that the senior surgeon can refer you to the people in Norfolk. It always amazes me, but shouldn't, how things work out! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. So many little details (eg the Dr knowing the Norwich team) it reassures me that God's in control

      Delete
  14. Wow, what a brave woman you have been, carrying on with your holiday as you have done and really being able to make the most of it. Isn't it good how our NHS melds together and really helps in these situations and there are usually such good 'coincidences' that link events like this, the appointments being available, doctors knowing other doctors in the right area and field etc etc. It really makes you feel cared for doesn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!