Monday 15 May 2023

Good Crieff ! And A Dundee Trip

A rather eventful weekend. We got up late on Saturday and went down to explore Crieff. "Remake Scotland" was brilliant. Loads of recycled stuff and items rescued from being scrapped

Bob found replacement speakers for use in the study. I got a pack of blank cards and envelopes, and a useful box full of unused Scottish postcards. Total £4. I'd brought my knitting but forgotten a stitch holder, so splashed out 20p on a yellow plastic one. 
We visited the Christmas Shop, but thought it was quite expensive, lots of plastic, and I did not find a suitable holiday souvenir for the tree.
Returned to the cottage for a late lunch in the garden. The sheep came to the fence up watch us eat

In the evening I avoided Eurovision and sat knitting whilst watching Far From The Madding Crowd. I saw that in the cinema in Dorset when it first came out. I enjoyed the scenery and the costumes [proper Dorset buttons] 
On Sunday we went to the Baptist Church in Crieff. A very warm welcome, good service, excellent sermon - and fig rolls with the coffee afterwards. A real treat.
We set off for Dundee. The plan was lunch, then HMS Discovery then the V&A. But I completely messed that up. As we left the car park I tripped whilst crossing the road. I went face down onto the tarmac 
I smashed my face, bent my glasses, broke two teeth and split my bottom lip badly. There was blood everywhere. Bob helped me to the central refuge. A couple behind us with a buggy were wonderful. They took us to Boots, where the pharmacist had a look and said "It's a deep cut, go to A&E" We got there just before 2 and I was triaged at 2:15, and told to expect a long wait.
The A&E is right next to the wonderful Maggie's Centre, the award winning Cancer Support unit. It was lovely to see a place about which I have read so much - and put the minor discomfort of a split lip and smashed teeth into context.
After three hours I saw a doctor, who stuck up the gash on the front of my chin with superglue, told me to rinse out frequently with a saline solution for the mouth gashes, and try to see the emergency dentist in Perth asap. [At least I got a decent shot of my smile on Saturday - my face is a right mess now]
Home by 6, Bob lit the wood burner [I was shivery - delayed shock?] And I managed to wash all the blood from my scarf. Liz and Steph have been so supportive since I told them what had happened, as have the other two friends who I whatsapped. SO grateful for the kindness of both loved ones and complete strangers .



42 comments:

  1. Ooh, Ang! That sounds nasty. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nasty... But not too serious. Bob is looking after me!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We will definitely go back later in the week. By which time I hope to be able to drink tea and eat cake!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Angela, I'm so sorry to hear about the fall and the injuries! Not quite the holiday you planned, but, at least no broken bones or dislocated joints! Take it easy and rest, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no broken bones or dislocations. I am truly grateful for that.

      Delete
  4. So sorry that this happened Angela, I'm sure you wont let it spoil your holiday, but do take care. You had a comparatively short wait in the A nd E, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you got some sleep last night and today goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no Ang!!! I'm so sorry that happened on your lovely holiday! It sounds very painful and must have been such a nasty shock! I'm thankful that there are no broken limbs but still the damage you've done is traumatic! Sending you hugs and praying that the dental situation is something that
    Can be done easily . Kxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie. Emergency Dentist in Perth was brilliant

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about the fall, it sounds nasty.
    Hope that you get to see the dentist and still enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw dentist at 10:15, by midday we were strolling in at Andrews in the sunshine

      Delete
  8. Although no broken bones that does sound like a hard landing. I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philip. Thought of you as we saw the lambs in the field next to our cottage

      Delete
  9. Deary me, you don't do things by halves, do you? Glad you're being taken care of. Take it easy today in case of delayed shock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Ang, what a thing to happen!
    The photo from Saturday is lovely though, so you're not under any pressure to be 'captured' with your poor battered face.
    Hoping you still manage to have a lovely holiday, and please, Be Careful! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Col. Taking care, taking it slowly...

      Delete
  11. What an awful thing to happen but glad you were able to have treatment. Did you manage to see an emergency dentist? Hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perth Emergency Dentist was utterly brilliant. So helpful - even gave me copy of x-rays and information for my dentist when I get home. Now waiting for numbness to wear off. I am hoping to eat again in an hour or so!!

      Delete
  12. So sorry for your fall and injuries. Am glad you were well cared for and will be on the mend.
    As I've gotten older, I find that falls are so upsetting even when I'm only bruised.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel rather stupid, to be honest. But falls happen to everyone sometime

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about the fall. John and I fell together at night, hand in hand, flat face over something we could not see in the pavement. I am glad that you got "glued" and didn't have to wait too long. Hope the dentist can fix your teeth. They can do wonderful things nowadays.
    You are not letting it ruin your holiday though,
    Will be thinking of you and hoping you heal fast, Love JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Have spent most of this day getting fixed. So grateful for free NHS treatment

      Delete
  15. So sorry to read about your fall, unfortunately as we get older we don't bounce back from situations like this.. So pleased A&E and emergency Dentists managed to sort you out. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh. So very sorry to hear about the fall. But so glad you have been seen by both a doctor and a dentist. Falls can happen at any age. But a horrible feeling. I managed to fall in the town square of Bratislava last November, but was fortunate to only get colourful sets of bruises as I was able to roll to my side as I went down. No cuts. No blood. Especially happy not to need medical services since our ship was due to leave within a couple of hours. May the healing go well for you. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - these things somehow feel worse when away from home

      Delete
  17. I am so sorry to hear about this dreadful accident. I don't know why these things happen, I had a similar experience on a trail, which resulted in a leg injury that kept me from driving or sleeping properly for 4 weeks. Later heard about a friend who smashed her knee in a fall. In my case I was fortunate that the injury wasn't to my knee or ribs or face. This too shall pass, Angela. ((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear about your fall but glad that everyone looked after you well. Enjoy the rest of your break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue Jay. I'm determined to make the most of our time away

      Delete
  19. So sorry to read about your fall. Hope you are able to get the continues care you need. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Typing this Tuesday morning, and definitely feeling brighter than yesterd ay

      Delete
  20. Gosh, I was so sorry to read this, how things can chance in the blink of an eye. I'm glad that you had good help immediately and then professional help soon after. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday 5pm, definitely improving, able to eat (dunked) biscuits!

      Delete
  21. Just caught up with this - so sorry you had a fall, sounds like you are being looked after well which is lovely x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great care, and improving daily, thank you

      Delete
  22. This Alison has also just caught up. How horrid for you. Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!