Monday 1 May 2023

Mayday! Mayday!

It is a hundred years since Mayday  was adopted as the radio distress call for air traffic. SOS was OK in Morse Code, but not for voices. Frederick Stanley Mockford, senior radio officer at Croydon Airport came up with the call sign - most traffic was cross Channel, and it sounded like m'aidez! French for help me! It has nothing to do with the date. 
For around 500 years, the choristers of Magdalen College Oxford have welcomed May morning in song. They climb to the top of the tower and at 6am sing the 
Hymnus Eucharisticus . Crowds gather in the High Street and across Magdalen Bridge to listen. 
In 1977 when I was a student at Westminster College, Mayday fell on a Sunday. 
One girl offered to take a few friends in her car down into the city to witness this. It was about 5 miles, they were leaving at 5am. When I went to breakfast later my mates were in the Dining Hall, very annoyed that the College Car Park was kept locked till 7 "for security reasons" so they'd been unable to get there in time. I did feel sorry for them. I'm sure it is a very beautiful event. 
Since 1889, this day has been recognised as International Workers' Day. Since 1978, the first Monday in May has been a Bank Holiday in the UK. 

Across Europe, May Day is celebrated to mark the return of Summer, with various traditions like Morris Men and Maypole dancing. The origins of these frolics are lost in the mists of time, and scholars disagree on the details. 
The Orchard Network has launched Blossom Day this year. I still have the "Family Ticket" which I won at the Scarecrow Competition last year, so we are taking Liz and the girls to the Museum at Gressenhall where they have lots of Blossom Day activities [plus a good café and an excellent adventure playground] 
I hope the weather is kind. 
Here in the UK we have three Bank-Holiday-Mondays this month. I do not remember that happening before!
Do you have any special plans for May Day? 



17 comments:

  1. I had never heard about the choristers of Magdelen college singing early on Mayday morning. That's a beautiful tradition. Your plans for today sound lovely. I hope that you and yours enjoy a good day. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is out morris dancing in Hastings, with her side, Black Annis. Here in France, it is traditional to give lily of the valley to your friends - often you'll see people at the side of the road selling little bunches. Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site explains more: https://www.sortiraparis.com/en/news/in-paris/articles/248464-may-1st-why-do-we-offer-lily-of-the-valley-on-this-day-origins-and-history
    Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a lovely day out and hope the weather is fair or at least dry. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. No special plans for May Day, here; it's another working day, not a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have far fewer public holidays in the USA I think

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Test successful! (I've been out of signal range all morning, and only just picked up my comments) Hope you are ok

      Delete
    2. I love your post today about May blossom and maypole dancing!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the May Day memories - I grew up near Oxford and still miss it now I'm in my sixties x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍 Good memories are lovely things to hang on to as we get older

      Delete
  8. That is a beautiful tradition for the choristers to sing a hymn of praise in the tower on May 1. This is also when St. Joseph is celebrated as St. Joseph the worker. I hope you have a lovely time at Gressenhall. Our Amelanchier trees are struggling to bloom during our continued rain and cold, but we have had one crocus in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of Amelanchier trees, although I discover they are very common in the USA and have lots of different local names [like shadbush, june berry and chuckley pear] We've had a day of sunshine and scattered showers here, but the weather has been warmer.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!