Sunday 9 February 2014

Stoked!

Billy-Morgan-Triple-Rodeo-Snowboard

I woke early yesterday morning, so I listened to the Radio through my ‘pillow speaker’ [a brilliant device- only I can hear it, and Bob sleeps on happily]

The Radio 4 Sports guy, Gary Richardson,  was interviewing a bright young woman all about the Olympic Snowboarding, and the fact that the British guy, Billy Morgan, ought to win the Gold Medal. “The whole of Britain ought to be stoked today” the girl declared.

After the piece, the main presenter, Sarah Montague, asked her colleague Mishal Husain, what ‘stoked’ meant. Neither woman knew “We are just too ‘Radio 4’!” said Sarah. Minutes later they explained. Maybe the world and his wife emailed the Beeb to give them this definition. “It is to be totally committed to, and utterly passionate about something” 

Further research has taught me that it is snowboarding slang - by way of surfboarding, dating back to 1960s drug culture. Another popular, similar definition is to be completely and intensely enthusiastic, exhilarated, or excited about something. Those who are stoked all of the time know this; being stoked is the epitome of all being.”

Clearly Britain wasn’t stoked enough yesterday morning. Sadly Billy missed out on the medals, as did his team-mate Jamie Nicholls.

But this morning is Sunday, and I want to be stoked – for Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. Strange how some words come into be being. I knew what stoked meant in a context but not where it had come from. Love the stoked for Jesus wish.

    Laughing at the too radio 4 comment too. I love listening to radio 4 in the car as it is such a good mixture. Also smiling at the pillow talk speaker. My mother used to use one as otherwise she had her bedside radio on so loud I could hear it four rooms away! It was her prized possession she said as instead of having to strain to hear the radio or risk not hearing it if she turned over all she had to do to listen was sink her head into the pillow!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!