Wednesday 3 March 2021

Get It Taped

In 1986, I had a book published. It was called "Get It Taped" and it was a guide to recording and using audio cassettes in church. Ken Jackson,  who ran a small publishing company called "Jay Books" asked me to write it as part of his Acorn Series. It was one of a number of practical handbooks for using modern technology in church. In those days, cassettes were 'modern technology'!! It is totally irrelevant now, and out of print. But it had its own ISBN [0951008633] and I made as much money, in real terms, from royalties as PDJames made from her first book. Sadly, unlike PDJ, I didn't go on to write dozens of best sellers!

"Taping" music and sermons is old school these days- everything is digital or on CDs. And "taping" now means what it did years ago - fastening together with tape.

Here's my top tip for the month- if you have to tape a lot of boxes, whether you are packing to move, or packing parcels to post, invest in one of these. Years ago, we just wrestled with rolls of packing tape, then we got a strange plastic device that came with a pack of rolls- but finally we invested in this strong hand-held device, with a metal section to hold the reel of tape, and a viciously sharp tape cutter [with safety guard]

It is so efficient and makes the job faster and easier. I estimate that it has taped at least 1000 boxes since we bought it - at less than 1p a time. On Monday it helped me to turn a potato masher and a sink plunger into a Dalek. Yes, I know it uses plastic tape - but on the other hand, it enables us to recycle and re-use removal boxes multiple times. Judging by the labels on some of our boxes, they've already done three or four moves!

After this move, we shall flatten them, and give them to somebody else. 



10 comments:

  1. So sorry that you’re leaving Dorset before we’ve had a chance to say ‘Hello’ in person.
    Jane from Dorset

    (not sure why I can no longer use this moniker when commenting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating - I would love to have got together for a coffee sometime.

      Delete
    2. Can't you two try for some kind of 6 ft apart meet up? It would be so nice.

      Delete
    3. What about it Jane?? email me!

      Delete
  2. I remember my early childhood house moves involved tea chests full of crockery wrapped in newspaper. Plastic tape did not exist then!
    The tea chests had dangerously sharp metal bits on the edges and I often wonder how my parents got them - and what they did with them afterwards. Our moves were never done by professionals, always by family and a friend with a van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea chests originally were lined with fine silver foil, presumably to protect the tea leaves from damp. I was always excited if a chest had a lot of foil lining left, and if there were still tea leaves inside - it meant it was a NEW chest, not one that had done a dozen removals.

      Delete
  3. Used to love my dinky little audio tapes and the machines when I was an audio-typist in my last life. I still have proper cassettes from when my boys were little and I recorded them at various stages of their young lives but goodness knows why, I've nothing to play them on now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need one of those dohickeys! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of these at my desk (I'm the office manager/facilities person), and I use it all the time for shipping things. They are the best, and so much easier than trying to peel tape off the roll!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!