Friday 14 July 2023

Chairperson

1968 - I was getting quite a lot of homework at the High School. I needed a chair to sit at my desk in my bedroom. Mum was walking to collect my brother from primary school when she saw The Chair in a shop window, it was greatly reduced. Having collected Adrian, she went back to the shop and bought the chair. But she was not in good health, and found it hard to carry the chair home. Adrian, who was only about 6, helped bring it back. I have had that chair ever since!
It originally had a yellow seat. Then when Liz was born, in 1982, I covered it with red PVC. Then in about 1998, it was in Steph's bedroom, and she covered it with a lilac-blue fabric [actually she recycled one of her skirts, which was the exact colour she wanted]
This week I took the chair outside, and removed the three layers of fabric

I'd bought a piece of fabric at a yard sale last year, for 50p I think. Its a fun, busy IKEA print. I painted the chair frame with some of the blue paint left over from the kitchen, and recovered the seat.

This looks really smart now, and will be just the thing for the bedroom!
Everything is coming together beautifully. Next week, new furniture will arrive. Our "Andy" cupboards & chests of drawers,[1970s Habitat stuff], are rather the worse for wear [2nd hand when acquired in 1985] and look awfully shabby now. We are getting some drawers which will match the bedside cupboards we bought for Cornerstones in 2009. Pictures will follow, I promise!




16 comments:

  1. You have done such a great job refinishing that chair! The new fabric goes so well with the new coat of paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolute genius! I love your chair. Can't wait to see finished bedroom. Might inspire me to tackle mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chair looks beautiful, isn't it lovely to see it in all it's reincarnations.

    My Mum still has the bottom part of what was mine and then my brothers high chair. She uses it as a stool to keep her bucket on now that she can't bend down so much. It started off pink, then was painted blue for my brother, then for some reason, possibly economy, it ended up black. I think when I eventually get it it will have to be green. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottom part of our chair is now part of the frame for Mary in our annual Nativity Scene

      Delete
  4. I love that chair and what you've done with it - a timeless classic
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ‘πŸ’™ It was about time we painted it, the original 1960s tan colour was so dated (&faded) But what a difference the blue makes!

      Delete
  5. The chair looks beautiful and the fabric is vibrant. I am intrigued by the bird with a crown - a kingbird perhaps? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know - I keep seeing details I'd not noticed before

      Delete
  6. Well done! You have a new chair with a heartwarming history!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you will be happy to see your beloved wonderful chair among the new furniture...
    splendid.
    Many greetings from Viola.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A loved chair with a wonderful history! and it looks so nice with the new look.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!