Tuesday 4 December 2012

Practical Mathematics

pizza

Tonight at the Alpha Group, pizza is on the menu. I am indebted to my friend Peter Sykes for sharing this fabulous piece of practical maths with me on Sunday at church.

If you have a round pizza, how do you calculate its volume?

Clearly, from basic mathematics, it is

π multiplied by the radius squared multiplied by height.

If the height of your food is ‘A’ and radius is ‘Z’ then the volume can be expressed as 

P I Z Z A 

Isn’t that fun? [Well it is if you are a maths geek like me. Even though I never eat pizza]

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant :-)

    Did you hear the Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 this week? I've not listened to it all yet, but it is about Bletchley Park - I heard it and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!