Wednesday 19 December 2012

The Wonder Of Woollies

Did you see the Wartime Farm Christmas Special last night?

Peter and Ruth returned for a one off programme – but no Alex!

wartime farm alex jumper

So I couldn’t say “Oh I do like that jumper!” – as I have done for almost every other programme in the series. But – amazing news- Fishcake contacted me this evening [immediately she heard this, she thought of me and emailed – how kind is that?]

The pattern for Alex’s jumper will be available next year, and you can pre-order now. Here is the link [click here ] It is based on the original 1930s pattern – and comes in sizes 3from 3 years to 54” chest. Not only that, but for every pattern bought, £2.50 will go to the Women’s Land Army Tribute Campaign, to fund a memorial at the national Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire. Which I think is brilliant.

But I cannot decide – with the provision of such a wide variety of sizes on the one pattern – do I knit one for myself, or one for Bob – or one each [that would be rather ‘Howard and Hilda’ wouldn’t it?]

howard&hilda1howard&hilda2

Thanks Fishcake for the heads-up on this one.

6 comments:

  1. We are going to have the series here in January...I'm so excited,but I'll give the knitting a miss!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how happy this post makes me! I have been wanting to knit something similar for my son, who has a WW2 experience next year, but couldn't find a pattern anywhere. I will donate the jumper to the school after he has finished with it. I also appreciate the Land Girl connection - I have just discovered that a wonderful old lady that I ferry to church was a land girl. I have already pre-ordered the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, whichever you choose, you will be at the head of fashion. Apparently Fairisle jumpers are right back in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope we get that programme over here some time.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a lovely sweater - I see quilt patterns in it. I hear that Fair Isle is making a comeback (though I can't quite tell if this one is Fair Isle or merely patterned).

    I say one for each of you, but in different colourways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lars and I have matching Tshirts which we call our "Howard and Hildas". A lovely Indian lady in our last church, who was only just learning English, saw us wearing them and said delightedly "Buy one get one free!"
    Lynn P

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!