Wednesday 26 December 2012

Sugar And Spice And All Things Nice

…that’s what my girls are definitely made of!
liz spice rack
Liz has a lovely spice rack which she refurbished beautifully 3 years ago. All her pots match beautifully. You can read about that here. My rack is inside the kitchen cupboard – full of randomly shaped jars.
DSCF4936

Now Steph has moved out of rented properties with minuscule kitchens,into her own place, and she said she wanted to build up a proper collection of herbs and spices [and Kilner Jars!] I decided I could help with that.
DSCF4937

At my recent conference, the breakfast marmalade came in little pots [always so useful] I picked mine up and then my friends, realising I was collecting, gave me theirs. I brought home 20 which I have washed and sterilised.
Now I have filled a dozen of them with a selection of spices from the stock in my cupboard. That should give Steph a good start. I labelled the jars with Bob’s P-touch labelmaker for a professional finish
DSCF4939DSCF4941
Yes, the middle one on the bottom row is Sugar Shapes – but I had a huge tub, and Steph frequently makes cakes, so will enjoy using them. And I remembered to label the jars not the lids, because as Liz pointed out, with identical jars, it is easy to screw a top back on the wrong jar – and juniper berries and allspice, or cumin seeds and caraway seeds could be easily confused!
DSCF4942I took a tea-towel and used that to protect the jars and placed them inside a Kilner Jar.
Steph stressed that she didn’t expect a lot of money spent on her Christmas gifts – so I hope she enjoys using this home-made contribution to her new kitchen!allspice, caraway, cardamom, coriander, cumin, juniper, mustard seeds, onion seeds, sesame seeds, star anise, sugar shapes, turmeric
Happy Christmas, to my lovely daughters- whose cooking skills are far better than mine!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely thoughtful gift. Such a good idea and she will think of her mum when she uses them.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, & a lovely present. I'm sure it will be well received. It prompted me to check out label makers, because your labels looked so professional, maybe you could tell us a bit about the label maker & how easy (or not) it is to use. There seemed to be a bewildering array available. Keep up the great blog. Hope your Christmas is a good one & all best wishes for 2013, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a Brother labelmaker. It uses the Tz tapes, and it plugs into the mains, or can use batteries. Easily available from Staples. Simple to use, with choice of letter sizes and font styles. The pink tape was in a sale!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info on the label maker, I'm off to look into prices now. Years ago I had a trusty (lo tech) Dymo label maker & got a lot of use out of it. Glad you had a good Christmas, all best wishes for 2013 xx

      Delete
  3. A thoughtful,useful gift...Steph will love it!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!