Here’s #4 in the 52 Projects Challenge – a new top in a bright summery fabric
For this I must thank my neighbour, Yvonne, who gave me this yellow fabric some while ago. She said she’d had it for years, but never done anything with it. It’s cotton – and measured 36” wide. I cannot remember the last time I saw that width in a fabric shop! It is a wonderfully retro print. I wish I had a photograph of my teenage bedroom to show you – in 1969, three of the walls were yellow, and one was orange- and there was a square panel over the old fireplace, which had been papered with a wallpaper in an orange/yellow print very similar to this fabric. I thought it was so stylish!
Here’s the finished article
It was incredibly simple to make up – but there was a fair bit of hand-hemming to do; the bottom, the sleeves and the neckline facing. That suited me – I could machine the seams, and then sit in front of the TV to finish things off. If I made it again, I think I would make the whole thing [and possibly the sleeves] slightly longer.
Now I am trying to decide whether to use the other length of cloth Yvonne gave me to make the tunic [or even the dress] included in the pattern. I would certainly recommend this particular pattern as it is well produced and easy to use, with clear instructions.
I’ve decided am not going to write about every single one of these 52 Projects. Some of them are quite boring [such as “line the Cornerstones bedroom curtains”and “sort out Bob’s old shirts as potential for patchwork”] but I shall still endeavour to complete something from my list each week.