Monday 23 July 2018

Going Doolally Whilst Haring About In The Heat

Life has been quite manic in the past week or so. Saturday's MAD event went well, but it was unbelievably hot. I felt sorry for the organisers- folk arrived late, then cleared off early [to watch football or tennis on TV] The Hopestones were well received, and Rev Ruth the Curate did a fantastic job of producing bunting with the children.
On Sunday our church was responsible for the monthly Forget-Me-Not service. This is a brief hymn service, for the benefit of those who suffer with dementia, and their carers. It is always held in the same parish church, so folk are comfortable with the familiar location. Our members, as usual, were brilliant - providing readers, musicians, participants, and caterers [and an abundance of cakes] Sadly the attendance was really low, over 60% being supporters from our church. Never mind.
Monday afternoon, once Bob's meeting had finished, we drove to Norfolk to attend a funeral on Tuesday. The journey was fine. We called briefly on Adrian and Marion, then drove through Dereham at 10.30pm and stopped to see the Hare. He is called "Phareoh" in recognition of the local links with Howard Carter who discovered King Tut's tomb.
Then onto Cornerstones. It was well past 11pm before we fell into bed. At which point Bob asked "I forgot to ask, what are you wearing tomorrow?"
"That smart LBD from Next which Steph passed on to me at Christmas - it is smart, but will be comfortable in the heat"
At which point one very apologetic husband confessed  he had completely forgotten to mention it was a 'please do not wear black' funeral. Did I have any other clothes? I leapt out of bed, and found that apart from jeans and t-shirt I'd travelled in, I had a fleece, a waterproof, some spare pjs and pants - and a couple of old teeshirts with slogans on. 
Fortunately Sainsbury's on the west side of Norwich opens at 7am so we were able to go in early to find an alternative dress. [The changing rooms were locked- so I did have to lurk in a quiet corner, shielded by Bob, in order to try the garment on. 'Tu' clothes vary enormously in size - I can be anything between a 12 and a 16] I found a cream floral frock which I was happy with. We arrived at Tuesday's funeral in good time, correctly attired!
Wednesday was a little quieter. I called Bob through for his meal, and he paused the TV. I just had to take a picture of the screen - it was a bit absurd!
Thursday we had a visit from Christine and Paul, good friends from Kirby, holidaying nearby. We caught up on the news of the school where I had done so much supply [where newly retired C. was a Teaching Assistant]  the adventures of their daughter Emma [well on the way to being a qualified doctor, currently on a placement in Nairobi] and the exciting developments at our old church. Sadly I forgot to take a picture of our visitors, and their cute dog, Daisy!
On Friday I was totally baffled by a pair of chopsticks in the washing up bowl - we haven't had a Chinese meal for ages. Then realised Bob has been stirring his Sourdough Starter  with them.
Saturday was spent scanning documents. Letters from Deolali to be precise. There were problems with the operation and it took 5 hours to complete. I was going quite mad with frustration. Deolali was the place in Indian where the British Army had a large camp, and a sanatorium. Many of the soldiers had fever [Urdu word is tap] Hence the expressions "Gone Doolally" and "Doolally Tap" for someone temporarily deranged.
One long, hot busy week. This one looks equally full...



3 comments:

  1. Do you think that's why we sometimes tap our temple to indicate that someone is, in our opinion at least, a tad "doolally"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress looks lovely. No hint of an emergency purchase - quite the opposite. It's great when a clothes panic ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear re the funeral! Lucky Sainsbury's was able to rescue you!! I do like Tu but you are right about sizes! I had a concert once where I forgot my black clothes and had to scramble to find some quickly!x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!