Sunday 29 July 2018

One More Leading Nowhere, Just For Show

We were mooching round IKEA, looking at the 'room scenes' which they lay out to give you an idea of how to use their products. One actually had a narrow staircase built against the back wall - going from floor to ceiling. 
I found myself singing that song from Fiddler on The Roof - If I were a Rich Man -  where the chief character Tevye, asks God why he has to be poor, and explains how he would live differently if he were rich.
He explains that his first activity would be to improve his housing...

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen
Right in the middle of the town,
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.
There would be one long staircase just going up
And one even longer coming down,
And one more leading nowhere, just for show.
and spotting the pointless IKEA staircase reminded me of that, and started me humming tunes from this fantastic musical, they have been my ear-worms all week.
I have loved this musical [written 1971] for years, long before I became a parent, it's all about Tevye, a Jewish father in pre-revolutionary Russia, with his five daughters, praying that they would grow up well and happy, finding good partners, concerned about his own wife's happiness, and wondering when the Messiah would come and rescue them all from the troubles brought upon them by the Csar. The lyrics are poignant, the music is lovely.
At one point, the parents sing this Sabbath Prayer for their girls
   May the Lord protect and defend you.
May He always shield you from shame.
May you come to be
In Israel a shining name.
   May you be like Ruth and like Esther.
May you be deserving of praise.
Strengthen them, Oh Lord,
And keep them from the strangers' ways.
   May God bless you and grant you long lives.
(May the Lord fulfil our Sabbath prayer for you.)
May God make you good mothers and wives.
(May He send you husbands who will care for you.)
   May the Lord protect and defend you.
May the Lord preserve you from pain.
Favour them, Oh Lord, with happiness and peace.
Oh, hear our Sabbath prayer. Amen.
Another song deals with the issue of children growing up and moving away [Far From the Home I Love] It's a real three-handkerchief story - with fun and laughter interspersed with thoughtful moments. But getting back to the song that started me humming - it starts with this Tevye asking God
Dear God, you made many, many poor people. I realize, of course, that it's no shame to be poorBut it's no great honour, either. So what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?If I were a rich man...
...towards the end of the song, Tevye explains to God why it is important for him to be rich, from a spiritual 

If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack To sit in the synagogue and pray, And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall, And I'd discuss the learned books with the holy men Seven hours every day That would be the sweetest thing of all...
Oh Tevye - if it were truly the case that wealth = time = time to pray more, then surely our world would not be in the mess it is right now. I am so challenged by the faith and prayer of the poor folk of this world, and acknowledge that even though I have wealth, and time, I really don't spend always use my resources wisely, to grow closer to my heavenly Father. Lord help me not to waste my time in pointless activities...

8 comments:

  1. I didn't realise it was written so (relatively) recently. Mum took me to see a local amateur operatic production in the early 70s, it must have been one 9f the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this thoughtful post. I too struggle to pray properly even on the days when I am not pressed for time. I have only seen Fiddler on the Roof once - quite recently. It is a marvelous mix of happy and sad, rather like real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's part of the enduring appeal of this musical - it is neither Disney-saccharine sweet, nor is it unrelieved misery. The themes of family, friendship and faith shine throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful story, isn't it? I have a copy of it as a VHS tape (remember those?) I love to watch it and that Sabbath prayer the parents sing is one of my favorite songs. Having enough wealth to free up enough time to be able to spend more time in prayer. What a wonderful goal! That is one of the things I am hoping to be able to do, now that I am retiring, starting with Friday night meditation sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to read on your blog about the lovely send off your work colleagues arranged. I do hope you enjoy retirement, I'm sure it will be purposeful and happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen Fiddler even though I know lots of the songs/tunes. I concur with your last prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These days I have a problem with the super rich eg Prince Harry getting a 4 million pound home and already been given a luxury home by the Queen and living in a 21 room apt in Kensington Palace. Just too much when so many folks can't even afford a small semi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that musical too. The theme I followed was that of the daughters. I grew up in a strict, distinctive community; although it was not Jewish. Still, the daughters change, becoming more "liberal" as they marry in sequence. Going against what Tevye wants, then not using a matchmaker, then the last one marries a Russian Orthodox. Whether this is tragedy or progress is the unanswerable question!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!