Monday 22 July 2024

Away In A Manger

I was recently given a "manger" hay basket to hang on the wall and fill with plants. But I needed a liner for it. I visited various local home and garden stores with no success. I ended up buying two circular hanging basket liners for £2.25 each. They are made of coconut fibre.
I used some jute string and two strong needles and stitched them together with saddle stitch. 
[Susie from the Repair Shop would have been proud of me] Mind you it did look like a rather large hairy bra when I took it outside.
Bob mounted the basket on the wall opposite the raised bed. It is just outside the side door, from the Futility Room.
I had compost already, so planted it up with 5 lettuces
My theory is that [a] I can easily pop outside at lunchtime for a few salad leaves, without walking across the muddy grass
[b] I don't think slugs will climb the wall and eat the Lollo Rosso
These plants came in a tray from Swaffham Market and cost less than £1. This was last Saturday when I put them in - they are already flourishing and will be ready to pick tomorrow once we're back from our London weekend. 
When the lettuce season is over, I am considering putting hardy herbs in here over the winter


14 comments:

  1. That's lovely!!! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I shouldn't mention opening the curtains of our first floor bedroom one morning to find my view of the street marred by the underside of a large snail creeping across the glass....?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on making the liner to fit the manger and it’s great that you have fresh lettuce to hand. However I must echo Kristen’s warning-we have very sharp rough cast and I found a huge snail on the kitchen window yesterday after the rain🀒Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🐌☹️🐌☹️🐌

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe surround it with Copper tape? I think it would lovely to have herbs near to hand, and many of them will be hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great and your sewing skills came to the rescue once again! Happy lettuce picking. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get to pick your lettuce leaves before the snails get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that the slugs can't reach your lettuce!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!