Wednesday 17 July 2024

Where's Wally?

 Answer; On the dentist's ceiling!
This morning I have a very early start because I have a dental appointment at 9. and I need to allow an hour for the journey. Although Roshan is the best dentist I have ever had, and I am much more chilled at his surgery than in any previous practice, I still get a little anxious [especially when injections and drilling are involved]
I have three 'coping mechanisms' for managing my stress. 
  1. I mentally sing my way through favourite hymns. Usually good until |get stuck at verse three and forget the words
  2. I practice 'box breathing' - where you inhale for a count of 5, hold your breath for 5, exhale for 5 and then wait for 5. 
  3. I stare at the ceiling and try and spot Wally on the huge poster up there. 
Roshan does change the poster sometimes, it is about the third I have seen since we joined the practice in 2021. But last year when I had a series of appointments over a few weeks, could remember where Wally was every time I sat down. 
I am trying to be chilled about this encounter today. It will be the most expensive visit I have ever had, and the day after a large garage bill. But I am grateful for having a reliable car to get me to the dentist. For having a dentist at all - rare as hen's teeth in Norfolk [Norfolk hens lost all their teeth years ago due to lack of dentists] And for having a dentist who is so good.
I have to sign a consent form before the implant procedure. I read the 'post op advice' last night. 
I can manage the salt water mouthwash for a week. 
I am not bothered about 'no alcohol' for a week.
I can avoid solid foods and drink Huel protein drinks for a day or two.
But I am ridiculously stressed about not having tea or coffee for twenty four hours!
How do you cope with dental treatment?



24 comments:

  1. With difficulty, even though I do have a lovely dentist and hygienist! Focussing on breathing, talking to God, playing a piece of beautiful music in my head, repeating a scripture verse....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ang, will pray for you! Tooth procedures are so traumatic. I think I find it so as your mouth is your primary passage for breathing anf when that is being interfered with....
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I absolutely hate going to the dentist. It all began many years ago when I fainted after the numbing injection in reception (it's a whole other story). I do the box breathing, or add numbers in ever increasing size, 1+1 = 2, 2+2 = 4, 4+4=8 and see how far I get. It doesn't always work but it distracts me. I hope your appointment goes well and the recover is quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought of mental arithmetic. That would be great. l could do the Fibonacci series!

      Delete
  4. Not very well, I put that down to bad experiences with school dentists who visited schools in the 1950s and then decided if the children needed treatment after us all lining up with mouths open for a cursory check and if we did we went to a clinic later on and it was never a good experience. Even though I have had very good dentists since then I am still always on edge and am delighted once the appointment is over. Good luck for your treatment today. I too would miss tea and coffee so much. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had bad experiences with school dentists too

      Delete
  5. I practise my mindfulness breathing and try to empty my mind. It’s the length of time with my mouth propped open that I struggle with as I tend to have a strong gag reflex. I also don’t like the way you need to lie down for so long-I know it makes it easier for the dentist but I wish I could be just a little more upright. Good luck and it will be worth it once it’s finished. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have the gag thing too. And as for that suction pipe...

      Delete
    2. Oh me too!!! My dentist gave up doing xrays as my gag reflex meant I retched out the card every time he tried to put it in! Kx

      Delete
    3. I don't enjoy the x rays either

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the dental appointment. I avoid them like the plague!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately this is a necessity. How people spend a fortune and many hours in the chair having optional cosmetic dentistry is beyond me

      Delete
  7. Ooh I think we all empathise with this! I have a great dentist now too but it's the length of time sitting in the chair with mouth propped open that gets to me the most. Slowing the breath, relaxing limbs in a particular order....when it starts to get to me I pray the Lord's Prayer slowly and keep repeating it until I calm down 😍 I do hope your procedure went well today and the after care isn't too arduous.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the time you see this you will be comfortable back home. I hope it all went well. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All went well, but as the anaesthetic wears off my face is aching

      Delete
  9. Lots of prayer and deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mentally praying the Rosary is my favourite way of passing the time during a dental cleaning or any other procedure. I usually include a prayer for the person treating me at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also do the box breathing but I thought it was a count of four ... I'll up mine to five now. :-)

    Where's Wally is a brilliant idea, my dentist has a plain white surgery, a plain white room and if you look straight ahead it is simply a blank wall and the window is behind the chair. Very boring. I seem to spend most of my time trying NOT to look at the dentist!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!