Friday 19 July 2024

The Beginning...

When we were in Paris, we visited Musée Carnavalet, dedicated to the history of the City. We went there back in 2006 and loved it, and wanted to spend some more time there. It is set in two adjoining mansions, on three floors - with a courtyard and gardens in the middle. I realised that on every floor there were leaded windows looking out onto the gardens. And they were all different geometric designs. I took some pictures

When I got home I decided to reproduce one of these patterns on a rectangle of fabric for our latest project. I found a scrap of Sanderson Honeysuckle print in my stash - a favourite print of my MIL [she made sofa covers in it] Once stitched it was reminiscent of looking through the Museum windows at the flowers.

I was happy with it and wrote notes in the travelling logbook and posted it off to Kirsten on Monday. 

Today I received her parcel.
She had used a piece of vintage Laura Ashley Curtaining and made a cover for her travelling book with the same fabric. 
Look at the superb way she has picked out the design by outlining it in a variegated thread, and adding French Knots to the flower centres. So charming. I am sure this latest collaboration is going to be as enjoyable as the last two. We are no longer constrained by the regularity of evenweave cloth - and we can enjoy Slow Stitching to our heart's content.




17 comments:

  1. I love the way you replicated the window glazing. (I really have to run an iron over that book cover!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring post! I love slow stitching ideas, and the way fabrics and threads can almost cause that 'ping' moment of inspiration .
    Those windows are very reminiscent of sashiko designs, so I wasn't surprised as I continued reading the post that you were stitching them! Two lovely ideas, thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both gorgeous! I'm very excited for the monthly update! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely. You ladies are so inventive. My eyes won't let me see to sew anymore other than basic repairs so it is wonderful to "sew" in a second-hand way through your collaboration. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that so many others are enjoying this collaboration

      Delete
  5. As you saw on my FB page, the Sanderson fabric is still very usable despite its age. You have both made a beautiful start to your project and I look forward to seeing your progress. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your makes (and Sherman's labels) are really cool!

      Delete
    2. Oops, that should say SHEDman! I typed it in the car and didn't proofread it properly

      Delete
  6. Oh these are lovely! I have some Sanderson fabric samples, from 40 years ago! I've used them to cover a rather beaten up side table. I might use both of these ideas and fancy up the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when one person's idea can spark someone else's creativity. I love old Sanderson prints

      Delete
  7. The leaded glass windows, especially the first two, reminded me of quilt patterns. Both your and Kirsten's embroidery pieces are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless - they would make good quilt patterns

      Delete
  8. Very inventive to use one of the window designs over patterned fabric. It looks great. I love Kirsten's addition to the Laura Ashley fabric, too. You are both so talented, in ideas and sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!