Sunday 14 July 2024

For The Healing Of The Nations

I have always liked Holst's music "The Planet Suite" - especially Jupiter - and the part which is well known as the hymn tune Thaxted. But I have never been comfortable with the words of "I vow to thee my country". Somehow I feel that unquestioning sacrifice on behalf of the nation is not a good thing. And the last verse [There's another country...] is misquoting the Bible in implying it is about heaven - in fact the gentleness and peace verse in  Proverbs is all about wisdom. So I was really pleased to hear the hymn below on Sunday Worship [BBC Radio 4] last week. It was written by an American, in response to the events of  Tiananmen Square Massacre  35 years ago

Let streams of living justice flow down upon the earth;
give freedom’s light to captives, let all the poor have worth.
The hungry’s hands are pleading, the workers claim their rights,
the mourners long for laughter, the blinded seek for sight.
Make liberty a beacon, strike down the iron power;
abolish ancient vengeance: proclaim your people’s hour.

For healing of the nations, for peace that will not end,
for love that makes us lovers, God grant us grace to mend.
Weave our varied gifts together; knit our lives as they are spun;
on your loom of time enrol us till our thread of life is run.
O great weaver of our fabric, bind church and world in one;
dye our texture with your radiance, light our colours with your sun.

Your city’s built to music; we are the stones you seek;
your harmony is language; we are the words you speak.
Our faith we find in service, our hope in others’ dreams,
our love in hand of neighbour; our homeland brightly gleams.
Inscribe our hearts with justice; your way—the path untried;
your truth—the heart of stranger; your life—the Crucified.

Words: William Whitla (b. 1934) – Music: Thaxted (Gustav Holst, 1874-1934)

I think the words are great [not surprisingly, verse 2 resonates especially with me, all the fabric references!] On the subject of justice, I was thrilled to read the good news about Nelson Shardey this week. A real answer to prayer

I hope you enjoy this hymn too!

UPDATE just picked up the news from the USA. Praying for peace and justice there especially this morning. 

16 comments:

  1. I have started my day listening to this beautiful hymn. Thank you. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will join you in a prayer for peace and justice and the healing of nations, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your nation especially in our prayers today

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the prayers, Angela. The country is a political mess at the moment. I don't like the man, but it's upsetting to see the violence happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A terrible mess. Praying πŸ™❤️

      Delete
  4. A beautiful tune and these words are so much better than the old ones! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think as a 'service wife's of 30 years I have sung I vow to thee my country many many times, the last a month ago at good friend's 40th wedding anniversary/marriage re-dedication ceremony. But it was lovely this morning to listen to the hymn with the alternative words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is very popular at forces weddings.

      Delete
  6. I grew up with "I vow to thee my country", but now In our church here, we sing "Oh God beyond all praising", a delightful hymn.
    I'm so glad to hear that Nelson Shardey will not be deported. Sometimes governments go batty about deporting people who have lived in and served their country well for decades, or they try to split families for some asinine reason!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just googled "O God beyond all praising" - also lovely words for that tune🎡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gustav Holst's Planets is so nostalgic to me, I remember my dad playing it when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad introduced me to this suite too

      Delete
  9. At our church we also sing the version ' O God beyond all praising' but this version has wonderful meaningful words too. It is my prayer too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that hymn is much better known in the usa than here

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!