Tuesday 26 March 2024

Gird Up Your Loins

That phrase means prepare for action by tucking up flapping robes into your belt/girdle . My action here is cooking - I prepare by putting on an apron. I'm a very enthusiastic, messy, splashy sort of cook

Here's Miguel Barclay's Pork Stroganoff from his "£1 Meals" which I reviewed recently. Sorry, we ate ours before I took the picture, this is from the book! It was delicious, I will definitely serve it again. It was easy to multiply up the quantities for two people. 

Pork stroganoff  Serves 1 
  • ½ mug of brown rice
  • 1 mug of water
  • ¼ onion, peeled and diced
  • Olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
  • 1 pork loin chop (about 100g/ 3½oz), cut into strips
  • Salt and pepper
  • A handful of mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 100 ml (3½fl oz) single cream 
  • A handful of spinach 
Put the rice and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil, cover then simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
While the rice is cooking, gently pan-fry the diced onion in a splash of olive oil over a medium heat. After 3 minutes, add the garlic then the strips of pork. Season and continue to cook for a few minutes.
When the pork is starting to brown, add the mushrooms and paprika then continue to fry until the pork is cooked through.
To finish the dish, add the cream and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly, then stir in the spinach and, once it has wilted, serve with rice.

Comments; I used a couple of pork loin steaks from Iceland which I had in the freezer. They were quite large. I had some small homegrown shallots in the garage which I used in lieu of half an onion, and some homegrown spinach in the freezer. The cost for two of us came in around £2.56.
Next time I'd use less meat [Lidl fresh pork loins are smaller but cheaper] and certainly for four of us, 2½ or 3 of the Iceland steaks would provide adequate meat. I think the cost could be brought down  a little. It wasn't quite 'saucy' enough - Bob suggested a little more cream or a splash of stock or water.
I reckon the cost would come in at around £1.25 a portion, and considering the book was written seven years ago, that is quite fair imho - especially as it is good enough to serve guests!
Thank you all for your kind words yesterday. Our journey to Leicester and back went smoothly. It was good to see old friends again, albeit at a sad occasion. Steve appears to be bearing up well, and receiving lots of support. 

16 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I would do the same reference the sauce - having been brought up in a gravy loving household recipes are often a little dry for our taste.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were more of a "custard-loving" household (which may explain last week's soup debacle!)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I missed yesterday's post, what a sad time for you all and especially for Steve. xx

    All the recipes that I've tried from Miguel's books have turned out really well, sometimes I watch the YouTube clips to see him cooking them which makes making them even easier. The prices are holding up pretty well considering the time difference aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, it was a sad day.
      I have not watched him on YouTube. There are a couple of techniques he's mentioned and it would be helpful to watch a demonstration - thanks for alerting me to these video clips

      Delete
  3. This sounds a great recipe which I must try. I generally find that I end up making enough sauce for four when I cook for two of us. I will investigate Miguel and his recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of them on the internet, and I am sure your library will have one or other of his books

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your friend's loss. Very sad times. I love the look of the Stroganoff. I wonder if chicken would work? Pork's off the menu for me. What happened to your Janome post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a chicken breast, cut into strips, would work equally well. Janome post due tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious and I've put in an order for this as my husband does all the cooking and altho' not stricly SW we will have it after Easter, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can't be far off SW - maybe chicken would have less fat? And you could perhaps use low fat creme fraiche

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you had a safe journey to Leicester and back and were able to be there for Steve with other friends from your time there.
    The recipe seems simple and delicious. We can buy boneless chops and this would be a good variation on my usual way of cooking them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you serve any additional veg with This? It sounds v nice but I'd prefer more veg.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used slightly more spinach and mushrooms than suggested, simply because they needed using up. I think skipping the spinach from the recipe and serving a generous portion of side vegetable would be good (broccoli 🥦 perhaps) I too like a good helping of veg with my meat and rice

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a delicious meal. Not quite sure what single cream is; we have milk, half and half (which is half milk and half cream, used mostly in coffee) and whipping cream, but, I'll probably add milk if I make this dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think half&half is the nearest equivalent, as it has a slightly higher fat content than regular milk.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!