Thursday 21 March 2024

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad!

Have you tried 'baked oats'? They are quite trendy at the moment. I think the idea is that it saves time if you are busy in the morning, because you prepared breakfast beforehand - and you get all the goodness of porridge oats, and the sweetness of fruit in a manageable form. If you don't get to eat it in the kitchen, pop it in your bag, and eat it once you get to work [preferably warmed in the microwave]  I don't have two children to get ready for nursery, or a class of children waiting for me to teach them - but I have been eating baked oats this week. I quite enjoyed them. Liz sent me her recipe

Makes 3-5 servings.
  • 200g rolled oats
  • 2 bananas
  • 400ml milk
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 120g frozen blueberries, warmed in the microwave
Mash the bananas, mix it all together and bake at 180°c for about 35 minutes. Portion up into Tupperware, store in the fridge. Reheat for 2 minutes or so in microwave

I cut mine into 6 sections. Reheating 1½mins on high worked for me. I had no blueberries, so used the blackberries from the freezer. This did make the final dish rather grey inside. It has the texture of bread pudding [which I love anyway] and was warm and filling. I can see why it is popular with busy people!

At the beginning of the week I made some quick soup,blitzing up a can of baked beans, some stock, leftover cooked carrots and a squeeze of tomato puree. I served it with Soda Bread Scones. I use Rachel Allen's recipe, but pat my dough into a big circle 1"/2.5 cm thick, which I cut into eight segments. I separate these out on the baking tray and bake for around 20-25 minutes. We had wo each with our soup. Lovely! I had a cup of soup leftover.
Next day I made a snack lunch by lightly toasting the split scones. I had butter and Marmite on mine, and for Bob, grated cheese, grilled. Two very successful recipes I thought. I found a container in the freezer labelled neatly Veg Soup. It had originally contained fresh soup from Morrisons, which Liz provided for a family lunch in Half Term. It thawed out to a creamy orange colour, and I was fairly certain it was mostly Butternut Squash.

I stirred in the leftover ½ cup of bean soup. But when I served it up for lunch, it tasted peculiarly sweet and milky. Bob asked about the ingredients. I explained. He is adamant that it was not veg soup in that container, but rather CUSTARD! 

It was a proper label, printed on the labelmaker though - and it said Veg Soup quite clearly...But I have to admit, there was a certain Bird-like quality to it!

You could say he got his just desserts!



24 comments:

  1. Your custard soup is the ultimate convenience food! Lunch and dessert, all in one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snorted with laughter at the custard mishap, to the consternation of my fellow commuters!! How strong is the taste of banana in the baked oats and how similar to flapjack are they, as I'm not fond of banana in things or flapjack? Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite strong banana taste. But not too flapjacky - much more moist and soft.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I presume that is for the scones, not the custardy-soup! 😉

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, that made me laugh. I think we have all had label mishaps with freezer items over the course of our lives. But I can honestly say I have never had custard soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you getting on with the air fryer?

      Delete
    2. I've got used to it remarkably quickly, but I do find it noisy. The Remoska was silent but obviously having a fan and being right behind where I sit to work, I can hear the air fryer 'doing it's thing' very loudly!!

      If I had to choose between the two i would choose the Remoska, in fact if my younger son needs an air fryer I might give him mine.

      Delete
  5. I was on my way to visit a certain little redhead yesterday to give him his birthday gifts and my dil texted to ask me to bring beans and bread. I couldn't believe the price of a tin of beans (I'm no longer able to eat them so don't buy them).only the proprietary leading brand name would do as apparently he can tell the difference between the cheaper varieties! Also, my mother rang to ask me to take her some milk (shoulder's healing but not good enough for driving yet). So I delivered all the shopping orders - apparently free gratis! Nobody tendered any tender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the cheaper varieties when I'm putting them in soups & casseroles etc. But if they are going straight on toast, I zhuzh them up with a squirt of ketchup or brown sauce and put cheese or nooch on top for extra umami taste. Note to self, limit the number of strange words in replies! (How do you spell zhuzh anyway?)

      Delete
    2. Phonetically, would it be 'yoosh'?

      Delete
    3. Nobody seems to know [https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/style/jeuje-zhoosh-zhuzh.html]

      Delete
  6. That made me laugh! I have a recipe for baked oats in my new cookbook that's coming out. I really enjoy having that for breakfast at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will your cookbook be available in the UK?

      Delete
    2. Angela, yes it will. I'm in the final editing process right now so barring any unforeseen craziness it should be available on Amazon in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  7. The banana-oatmeal bars sound yummy, and had to laugh at your custard mishap!
    Our food labels are written on a strip of tape with a Sharpie. More humble!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are often scribbled with a sharpie - I thought doing it properly would prevent errors. Obviously not!

      Delete
  8. Kudos to Bob for identifying it as custard! I like your recipe for baked oats. It reminds me that when I had to make visits to England twice a year, on my return I would buy a chewy oat bar with fruit in it, to eat at the airport after the two hour bus ride and during the long wait before boarding and an actual meal on the plane. Oats are very sustaining. I have a recipe for oat scones which are, like yours, great with soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oats are so sustaining, and extremely healthy

      Delete
  9. You had me at bread pudding. Must try this as a different way of having my daily porridge. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a time saver - and the fruit makes it much sweeter than regular porridge

      Delete
  10. You had me chuckling out loud at the Custard Soup! Of course these various flavors all mix together in the stomach but it's still a funny idea!
    I eat oatmeal with fruit almost every morning and I make a lovely walnut-oatmeal muffin.
    JanF

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!