Tuesday 12 March 2024

Kitchen Sink Dramas

A few random thoughts from the kitchen. Not particularly dramatic, but products I have started using recently and I think are worth mentioning.  I do not want to 'monetise' my blog, and get paid for advertising - but if I find something I think worth sharing, I like to review it here. Starting at the sink
Here in East Anglia, we have a dialect word for cloths/rags used for
cleaning around the home -
dwile [believed to come from the Dutch word dwell meaning mop] There's even an old pub game dwile flonking, where you flonk [or fling] your wet rag from the end of a stick. 
I have been concerned about the plastic particles in microfibre cloths and was looking for a greener alternative. And I chanced upon the Swedish Dishcloth, the ultimate ecofriendly dwile! These were invented by an engineer, Carl Lundquist in 1949. They are made of cellulose - wood pulp - they are highly absorbent, easy to keep hygienically clean, and when you have finished with them they can go in the compost bin. They do not smell bad like some dishcloths do, and they rinse easily.
I had read some reviews  and decided to buy a pack for myself at Christmas. I bought a pack of Wettex [the original Lundquist brand] and started using my pink cloth on Jan 1st. On Feb 1st I got out the green cloth too. It's useful to have two 'on the go'
  • they are incredibly absorbent [tested with ¼cup water, they had a 98.3% absorbency rate]
  • when wrung out thoroughly, they dry surprisingly quickly
  • they are easy to sanitise [run through washing machine, or lay on top rack of dishwasher, or rinse thoroughly in hot water and blast for 30 secs in microwave]
  • they are good for use when washing up, wiping counter tops, cleaning the hob, washing windows...
I hang mine over the tap at night, and in the morning they are dry and fresh for use again. I am definitely sticking with these


Second thing is food related- specifically cheese alternatives. I have never really eaten cheese, it upsets my stomach, although as I have got older, I have discovered I can manage soft 'farmhouse' cheese [cottage, ricotta, philly etc] 
But sometimes I have wanted to umami taste, and  saltiness of parmesan sprinkled on a finished dish. "Nutritional Yeast Flakes" aka nooch have proved a good alternative. You don't need much to make a difference.
Even tastier is "Vegan P" produced by The Pasta Factory, in Manchester [a restaurant and deli] It is a mix of chopped almonds, walnuts, cashews, pine nuts and sunflower seeds, with added nooch, nutmeg and salt. The downside of this is that I can only get it from the wholefoods supermarket at the end of Steph's road! The company don't sell it mail order. [Bob gets his parmesan in a wedge from Lidl. It keeps for ages in the fridge]
Finally - yorkshire puddings. I am aware that this is a very divisive issue. But I like a few small puffy puds with my roast lunch [does not have to be beef - I like them with chicken, pork etc]
I'm not very good at making from scratch [unlike Liz who makes wonderful yorkies] and although the precooked frozen ones are brilliant, they do take up a lot of freezer space [esp when you consider they are mostly air]
I am completely hooked on Aunt Bessie's bake-at-home Yorkshires. I served these at Christmas and they worked perfectly. Each comes in its own little recyclable foil dish and they puff up splendidly alongside the potatoes and parsnips. Our last-minute-lunch-guest on Sunday was impressed. 
If you are an air-fryer-user then they cook well there too.] 
furthermore they are vegetarian, and minimally processed.
Have you found any good kitchen related items recently?




26 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I'm not persuaded by any of those and luckily I'm OK with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you make your own brilliant Yorkshire puds though, Sue

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see these.
    I bought some curry marinated tempeh from Lidl which was excellent. Made a difference being marinated.
    Haven't found anything new though I ended up with 2 copies of Nancy Birtwhistle's Green and clean book -left one with my stepmum. Will be trying some of her cleaning recipes! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am back to cutting up tshirts and putting in a hot wash with the dish towels for kitchen use. Also old towels for cleaning the floor which bet washed with dusters etc. I seemed to have become less tolerant of cheese as I have got older so now use much more sparingly or live with the consequences. I must look out for those Yorkshire Puddings as they would certainly be easier to store in the freezer. Craft group this morning-hope it’s more peaceful than last week! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craft groups ought to be places of peace, surely?

      Delete
  4. I've never eaten tempeh, I'm not sure I know what it is. I shall look it up.
    I like Marigold vegetable stock granules. I use them for making stock, and also to make delicious cuppa soup; a teaspoon of granules in boiling water is a good alternative to tea and coffee.
    I have a lifetime supply of small knitted squares, originally destined to be sewn together as a blanket but now reusable dishcloths. As they are cotton they too get composted (I cut them up a bit first)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not used Marigold granules, I usually make my own stock in the slow cooker.

      Delete
  5. Well I blogged about a brilliant 'Butter Chicken' curry sauce yesterday, that was new to me and very tasty too. No butter or chicken in it which was what made me want to try it.

    Also new in my kitchen is an air-fryer, I wasn't going to get one but then my Remoska broke and to replace it was going to be almost £200, so I bought an air-fryer instead. It does basically the same job but is much noisier. I think I will go back to a Remoska when I can justify spending some more money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your BC post! In all my air fryer research, this is the first time I've heard anyone mention the noise! Is this a real issue ?

      Delete
    2. Perhaps it's just because the Remoska was silent and I am used to that. An air fryer is like a mini fan oven, but with no sound insulation, so I guess that's why it seems really noisy to me. And of course when I'm working, my breakfast bar/desk is directly across the kitchen (all 3 foot away) from the whirring little machine.

      Delete
  6. I use Nutritional Yeast in my home made cheese sauce, roughly half and half with a good strong Cheddar.
    We're cheese addicts in this house, and eat a lot of different cheeses, so I cut it down slightly by using 'nooch' occasionally.
    I've only ever tried one cheese that I don't like, Norwegian Gjetost, fudge coloured, and to my mind, utterly revolting, and yet my mum loved it!
    I have never bought dishcloths, I get old fashioned cotton floorcloths and give them a good hot wash before using them. They last forever, and get chucked in the washer with bedding and tea towels, which are always washed at 60°.
    I make my own Yorkies, and have even mastered Gluten Free ones for our son! Aunt Bessies are good, but it takes moments for me to whip up a batter, although egg prices these days are making home made Yorkies a lot more expensive, so, price wise I'm not sure which is best, bought or home made. Price won't convert me though, I'll still make my own! X


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob would probably suggest you try Ettekeis (aka Fromage de Bruxelles) It absolutely stinks. When he went to buy some in the cheese shop in Belgium, the shopkeeper asked if he was absolutely sure!!

      Delete
    2. I know that Norwegian cheese! My father offered me some once when I was little. It looks like delicious fudge ..... but ain't!

      Delete
    3. I've eaten Ettekeis on several occasions, and love it, I also eat a lot of 'Stinking Bishop'! X

      Delete
  7. This is great info TQ, I'm fascinated that the aunt Bessie's are so good! I've got some of those Swedish cloths, they are good but my only problem is that they are a bit like a thin sponge and I prefer a more cloth like feel - however I didn't know about washing them in top deck of dishwasher, good tip.
    I read that using a mix of liquid 💯 castille soap, with a bit of water and a bit of vinegar makes a great all purpose cleaner, apparently also good for a wash up liquid replacement, I've not tried it yet but if I do I'll report back. I'm liking the idea of less chemicals.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a good source of Castille soap?

      Delete
    2. Amazon sell it, a litre is about a tenner I think but I'm guessing it would last a long time and being Olive oil must be gentler on the hands? I'm not keen on wearing gloves to do housework .
      I've seen a suggestion: cut up old t shirts or the like ,swish them round in the diluted castille soap and bit of white vinegar, wring out, leave to dry naturally, apparently make a great duster.......
      I could go on but enough for now 😀 X
      Alison x

      Delete
    3. I tried dusting once, but it all came back...

      Delete
    4. 👍🤣 Xx
      Alison x

      Delete
  8. I’ve been using cellulose cloths for years from a certain firm in the Lake district. They are brilliant at mopping up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued that they say 3 year guarantee on the website

      Delete
  9. I feel that I missed out in my young days in England, as I never went to a pub in Norfolk to play "Dwile Flonking". If you hadn't explained it and I had come across the expression, I never would have imagined such a game. I wonder how it got started? I remember in my teens working at washing up (no machines) in the cafeteria at Hampton Court Palace gardens and occasionally a dish cloth would get flung at someone (not by me)!
    Re the cheese problem, are you slightly lactose intolerant? I know someone who takes a supplement of some kind to deal with this. Cheese is so wonderful, especially when cooked, and it probably isn't that good for any of us! I haven't been able to eat blue cheese for years now, and I used to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant - no problems with butter, milk, cream or yogurt... Just hard matured cheeses

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!