Monday 11 March 2024

Keeping In Step

My #word365 for 2024 is collaboration and over the past couple of months I've come across lots of examples of people achieving so much simply because they are not working by themselves. TEAM - together everyone achieves more is a popular acronym on posters in classrooms and workplaces.
As well as working together, people moving together can be quite a spectacle. I loved doing figure marching in Girls' Brigade in the 60s, changing direction, crossing over in sequence, making patterns. I enjoy ceilidhs and folk dancing, where a caller tells me what to do next - although I'm not the most elegant! I don't watch Strictly, but in my childhood, Mum and I enjoyed watching Come Dancing on our little black&white TV. Especially the formation teams. The precision, the way they moved across the floor... 
Perhaps the most famous formation dancing came from the Frank and Peggy Spencer School of Dance in Penge. I knew somebody who had learned to dance with them in his teens, back in the 1940s. 
Yesterday Bob showed me a great YouTube clip - a modern dance troupe. This is rather different - they are all in different outfits [but within a carefully chosen colour palette] but they collaborate with matching movements, interpreting the music in an eye catching and entertaining way. These young people are from the CDK academy in Texas, which has achieved global recognition, winning various world dance competitions. 
I thought this was a super performance, I hope you enjoy it too 





10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the videos, Angela. I enjoyed watching them. Dancing as a team is difficult, but, great fun! I miss the dance classes my daughter and I used to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to come to your dance class!

      Delete
  2. Ah, nothing working on my phone this morning sadly! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were each so different but so wonderful to watch. You amaze me with the very different interesting things you come up with to share!
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life would be dull if every day was just the same.

      Delete
  4. What a contrast between the formal formation dancing in the first clip and the exuberant interpretation of music in the second. I did wonder why they looked so unhappy - perhaps the effort of remembering all the moves. It was so impressive. During our visits to a conference in Bulgaria we have had opportunities to try their dancing, holding hands and all performing the same repetition of steps, a happy dancing linking us together in a long line or circle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sense of belonging, and moving together is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting! Those ladies from long ago had some incredible petticoats and those young people are amazingly flexible. What a treat to watch!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!