Monday 4 March 2024

Grandma, We Need A Pickle Hat!

Not the German pickelhaube [pointed hat] but rather a hat that is green, and, er, pickle-ish. George and Jacob's Nursery is celebrating World Book Day on Thursday. Jacob's age group are going to be using The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Steph was thinking about his costume for the day and decided on The Pickle. Jacob has a green top and leggings - all he needs is a Pickle Hat. 


 

I found some 4ply green wool in my stash and looked for a pattern. All the ones I liked needed DK, and also were worked on double pointed needles. So I ended up modifying a couple of patterns and came up with this. 
You need to knit with two strands of wool on 5mm needles. 
Cast on 72stitches.
Knit 3cm in double rib [k2p2]
Work in stocking stitch till work measures 8cm from beginning.
Now work the decreasing as follows:
Row 1 - [k2tog, k16] repeat this to end of row [68sts]
Row 2 - Purl
Row 3 - [k2tog, k15] repeat this to end of row [64sts] 
Row 4 - Purl
Repeat this pattern till 4 stitches left. 
Now make an I-cord as follows:
*Slip the four stitches onto the other needle. 
Right side facing, pull the yarn tight, and knit 4 stitches.*
Repeat this * * twenty times. Cut the yarn, thread through the 4 stitches. Pull tight. 
Leave a long length of yarn [18"]. Use this to fasten the top tightly and then stitch down the back seam. Fasten off. Make a knot with the I-cord. 
This should fit the average pickle toddler. 
I hope Steph sends a picture of Jacob in his outfit! 
I think this pattern would be good in red for a Christmas elf. You could omit the cord and add a bell or bobble. 





26 comments:

  1. I saw a brilliant Hungry Caterpillar costume on insta last year. You made a tabard made up of lots of painted ovals of card, each one joined by split pins. I thought it looked amazing!
    I also want to see the complete pickle! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But would it be comfortable to wear all day?

      Delete
  2. To make life easier for frazzled parents my grandchildren's various schools are having a pyjama day instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This does seem to be a trend this year. I noticed an enterprising charity shop in Manchester over the weekend, with a long rail of outfits labelled "for world book day"

      Delete
  3. The school where I worked banned costumes and the children were encouraged to bring in a copy of their favourite book or a drawing they had made of their favourite book/character/story line and then we took photos in assembly of the whole school waving their books/drawings in the air. Everything becomes so commercial and we found quite a few parents were rather competitive trying to make their child the "best" dressed character. All the staff/governors voted against dressing up and the children enjoyed the other activities we did in school to make the day fun. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has gone "over the top" in recent years - with people hiring costumes or buying new ones ..and the whole "book" aspect has got lost I fear

      Delete
  4. Well done on your pickle hat and I’m sure the little pickle will be delighted to wear it. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very cute pickle hat! I, too, hope that we get to see a picture of the pickle Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and perfect for a little caterpillar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super little hat! I like the twist you did on the top and how lucky you are to have so much usable stash on hand! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little twisty knot on top finishes it off well, I think. And it looks cute

      Delete
  8. My granddaughter hates hats even when she was a tiny baby, always trying to pull them off. But what a good Granny you are to help finish Jacob's costume off. He'll be a right pickle! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very talented to be able to modify patterns and come up with a good result. I am also hoping to see little Jacob in pickle gear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed that you can quickly knit up a hat like that! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just stocking stitch and not difficult

    ReplyDelete
  12. You surely have won the Best Grandma award for this pickle hat!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fave shade of green. Another great result.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, A. I actually used two strands of green 4ply which were ever so slightly different in shade. Jacob likes it, which is all that matters

      Delete
  14. Grandma to the rescue once again. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!