Wednesday 25 September 2024

Improving The Triangle

Back in the eighties,there was a truly atrocious TV show called Triangle. It featured a ferry sailing from Felixstowe across to the continent. The producers thought it would be cheap to film as everything was on the ferry - just one film  set which travelled to different locations. The opening titles featured actress Kate O Mara sunbathing topless on the top deck. They'd forgotten just how cold and windy it can get out in the North Sea! The weather,and the plots were awful. It was a running joke on Terry Wogan's radio show. The BBC was embarrassed. The series got cancelled.
Today there are far better triangles around. We received this very stylish anniversary card last month. 
Looking at it I realised it had been made from a regular square greeting card blank. I decided to try and recreate one myself. 
It was easier than I thought! 

You need a square card and some pretty paper
First take your  card and measure the sides. Mine was 14.4 cm. 
Mark the midpoint of one side, and carefully cut from that point to the ends of the crease. This will give you a card with a triangular flap, and two identical right angle triangles. 
Now using your paper, cut a square 1cm smaller (eg 13.4 cm) , and a second one 1cm smaller than that.(12.4cm) Measure the midpoint of the edge of the smaller square and cut that piece into three. 
Now stick the large square on the inside leaving a border all round. Repeat with the triangles on the other pieces. 
Now this is the fiddly bit... You need to stick those two right angled triangles in place. The right angles must touch the outer edges, the thinnest points be in line with the top, the bottom corners in line with the bottom of the card and the point on the flap. NOT going outside the edges of the square
I couldn't work out where to put the glue.

Then I realised that if I lined up the triangles upside down, I could mark the edges. Then I put glue just on the top piece of each triangle, turned it over and stuck it down firmly on the opposite side (hard to explain,but it makes sense when you try it) 
I didn't have a lovely golden butterfly, but I used my Big Shot diecutter to produce words in contrasting card. I hope the recipients will feel blessed when they receive them! This really turns a simple blank card into something stylish. 

Thank you C for the inspiration
Now back to making more stock for my 31:13 shop

2 comments:

  1. That's impressive, thank you for explaining, I make cards and might give it a go although it looks tricky 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to photograph, I couldn't get it all to lie flat. That means you can't see that the points all go exactly on the edges (NOT overlapping. If they did that, it would not fit in the envelope) Once you have worked out how to place them, it suddenly makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!