Monday 16 September 2024

Gonk Girl!

I wrote a post all about gonks last November. The original 1960s ones were designed by Richard Benson. In the 80s those little sticky message bugs used for advertising were often called gonks. And now people frequently refer to the Scandi gnomes/tomte/nisse as gonks.

I had an email from a lady in Norfolk, called Christine, saying she was having a "senior reflection moment" - and wanted to make gonks for her grandchildren for Christmas [proper vintage 1960s ones, that is] Did I have a pattern?
Well, short answer was No. So I dived down various internet rabbit holes. Yes the patterns are out there, but some people are charging a lot of money for them. Christine wanted something akin to the PlaySchool Humpty. I found lots of pictures. Some were round, some squat, some flat, some very egg shaped and some just plain weird. I wanted one that was straightforward to produce, with not too much curved stitching. And very important, with a flattish base so the little chap would go onto the shelf or bed and not fall over or roll away too easily.

So I played about with some paper and made patterns - then created the basic gonk in some spare fabric, stuffed it, and pinned on paper features. Once I was satisfied with that, I made up a proper little chap with Stash stuff, and sent the gonk,the pattern, and the instructions off in the post. 
Now Christine can see how big he will be and make her own modifications [eg adding a collar, or smile, or buttons etc] and create lots for her family.
I am calling him Al. 
And if he is a success, that will be an Al-Gonk-Win [apologies to any Dorothy Parker fans]

23 comments:

  1. That was very nice of you to do that for a stranger! He looks good! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again Ang to the rescueπŸ˜‰. That was a very kind gesture. You are so clever making things from scratch. I remember receiving a green furry gonk from my sister, where he went to I don't know.
    How are you getting on with your lovely mice?
    How's Bob's foot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gonk was red, cousin Gillian's was green. Six mice made, awaiting garments (I'm still dithering about what price to charge) Bob's feet healing slowly, but exacerbated by his back pain issues

      Delete
  3. Well done -it’s great when a plan comes together!! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum made me a brilliant, big Gonk in the 60s. His bottom half is a very Mod black and white check fabric. That's what you call a real Gonk, not these Scandi gnomes. I still have it, packed away in a box upstairs.
    Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Proper Gonk (black&white check was SO popular back then)

      Delete
  5. Aww Humpty, I used to love him on Playschool, I was scared of Hamble the doll though. 😬 Your gonk turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamble was strangely creepy, wasn't she? Odd name too...

      Delete
  6. Well done! I had a gonk which I remember was mainly tartan. No idea what became of him though.. You did a wonderful job- as usual! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tartan gonks were very popular (with red hair and tam'o'shanter caps)

      Delete
    2. Obvs designed by an Englishman in his quaint little stereotypical way!!!lol

      Delete
    3. Yes, you are right...I blame Queen Victoria starting the craze for "Balmorality" which was reinforced by Andy Stewart and " Donal where's your troosers?"

      Delete
  7. Is there anything you can't craft? He is so cute!
    I never knew about that hotel, but where I live, there is a vast provincial park to the south, named Algonquin Park, after the indigenous people who always lived around here. Formal meetings usually begin with an acknowledgement that we are gathered on unceded territory of the Algonquin Nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Algonquin Hotel is in New York, off 5th Avenue. It opened in 1902, and Ms Parker met there with her literary friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought of Gonks as glorified Humpty Dumpties! You can't go wrong with that shape though when I made mine back in the day, hardly had any stuffing so he turned into a bit of a sad sack gonk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Gonk looks fab and you are a kind lady to make the pattern for someone else to enjoy making more of them. Thank you for the sweet childhood memories of Humpty and Playschool x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Cant, my hero, and Floella Benjamin with her polo mint earrings

      Delete
  11. That was very kind of you to create a prototype and pattern for the person who asked if you had a pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!