Wednesday 18 September 2024

SuperGran

I never knew my Mum's mother. But my paternal grandmother was a force to be reckoned with. She was strong in her faith, adored her husband, loved her children, and did all she could to make the world a better place. But she had two particular habits which honestly terrified me as a child. I was convinced these dangerous practices would lead to her untimely demise. I thought about her on Sunday as I took my bread knife to church for the Harvest lunch [I needed to be sure there was one sharp enough for slicing French bread and fruit cake*]
Nana was often to be found in the church kitchen helping with catering. Like all the other ladies, after the service she would take off her coat, and put on her apron [but her Sunday hat remained firmly on her head] 
If she was on Sandwich duty, she would clutch the loaf to her bosom, and grasp the knife, slicing the bread horizontally towards her chest!  
I was convinced she'd go too far and blood would come spurting out of her heart all over the black and white tiles. I'd hide my eyes 
behind my hands and pray hard she would survive.
It was Nana who first taught me to sew. But she would insist on keeping the pins in her mouth. And still carry on chatting. I just knew she was going to swallow a pin or seven, and they'd perforate her insides and she'd writhe in agony and probably exsanguinate. I loved her dearly and could not bear the thought of losing her - I wondered if she got a perverse thrill out of living dangerously like this. Needless to say she survived unscathed into her late 70s.
I hope she would be pleased with the way her family has turned out. 
*the fruit cake was because we wanted to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary with our church family.
The little flowers were produced very quickly and easily with this little gadget from Lakeland. I was going to do 45 daisies, but somehow ended up with 52. Because, as Nana taught me "a wedding is one day, but marriage is a week-in-week-out commitment" 

30 comments:

  1. Lovely to read about your Grandmother and the cake looks lovely.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading about your grandmother. I didn't know my paternal grandmother; she died when my father was about 2 years old. I did know my maternal grandmother. She died when I was about 15. The cake looks lovely with all the pretty flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my grandmothers cut bread this way, producing wafer thin and straight slices. Something I singularly fail to do and they both lived long and healthy lives !

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband, a plumber, once unknowingly swallowed a panel pin. It had to be surgically removed many years later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got quite a bad gag reflex in recent years and I can't seem to keep anything in my mouth without holding it with my hand without immediately panicking I'm going to swallow it and have to take it out instantly, including my toothbrush!
    The cake is pretty. I think my mum must have used the same gadget for our wedding cake.
    Nice to hear about your Nan. Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, however do you manage to play the recorder, Kezzie? I just looked back at your stunning wedding cake [11 years ago!] and the flowers do look very similar - but much more colourful

      Delete
    2. Because I'm holding it in my hands and it is only resting on my slips, not past my teeth, it's fine

      Delete
    3. Lips 👄 not slips 🎽! 😘

      Delete
  6. Yes-my Gran did both the bosom threatening bread cutting and as a tailor, was often to be found with a mouthful of pins! Your cake looks lovely and it was a delicious treat for your church friends. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such lovely people, and it was good to share

      Delete
  7. My Gran cut bread in exactly the same way! The slices were always even and neat. How? It looked so dangerous. That is a very pretty cake, I am sure it was delicious 😋. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Grandma cut bread in the same way! What a pretty cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan From Across the Pond18 September 2024 at 11:34

    Your cake is a beauty. Congratulations again on the wedding anniversary. You and Bob make a delightful couple. Many happy returns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That post took me right back as my Granny used to do the same, and the bread was always cut so thinly. She sharpened the knife on the outside dining room step which led into the garden. If you were having tea at hers, you had to eat 2 pieces of bread with butter, then you were allowed jam on the next one. Hugs Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the absurd rules that surrounded family meal times back then

      Delete
  11. The farmer's wife at a place we stayed in Devon as a child sharpened the bread knife on the back doorstep, then buttered the loaf and cut nearly transparent slices the same way as your gran!
    My grandmother, Oma, was a family rock, in love and faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now we have doorstep-sharpening to add into the mix...

      Delete
  12. Your cake looks lovely, and reminds me of the wild purple asters we see around here. I just sent a photo of them to Bless, commenting that in England we had something similar called, Michaelmas Daisies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a kind thought, Bushlady - Bless loves flowers. Yes they do look a bit like Michaelmas Daisies [Michaelmas is 29 September]

      Delete
    2. I love the flowers on the cake. Do you have to add the centres after making the petals, or are they an integral part of the stamped piece?

      Delete
    3. The press marks the centre- some I left blank, others I pressed a silver ball into the centre

      Delete
  13. Your cake is lovely. My mother used to hold pins like that in her mouth, and she'd keep on chatting. I also worried! (I can't seem to sign in. This is Celie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celie! Do you think our generation does NOT do the pin thing because we were so worried by our mums and grans doing it??

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!