Wednesday 20 January 2010

Prior Agreement

My good friend Floss in France did a lovely post on Saturday about old musicals and also Steeleye Span- I too enjoy these styles of music. I have a couple of later Maddy Prior CDs of hymns and carols, in which she sings the songs in a style as near to the "original" as possible. That is, before churches introduced "new-fangled" things like pipe organs, and the musicians were still playing lutes/guitars and flutes etc. Oh hang on a minute...

I found this on YouTube. This was our "College Hymn" when I was doing my PGCE in Oxford

Not sure where all these Anglican churches are. If you want pictures of Maddy, listen to this one instead...

She is obviously having such fun singing this one. Which is how it ought to be [religion never was designed to make our pleasures less, and all that]

5 comments:

  1. Well, you have set my day off to a good start with those, Angela - thanks!

    Interestingly enough, I haven't heard those recordings before, although on her recent tour with the Carnival Band she was pretty much tracked by our friend Martin, a Methodist musician who lives just south of her Cumbrian home, and who heard the band perform in many of his local churches.

    Whe we lived up there at Brampton (the home of the Folk Festival) I organised a folk service on Sunday during the festival, and although we had younger people like Martin on the piano and my Ben on his trumpet, we also had older Cumbrian musicians who have never stopped playing traditionally, including one chap on fiddle and his brother who was a semi-professional 'spoons' player! Singing with a band like that was one of the most joyful worship experiences I have ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. religion never was designed to make our pleasures less, and all that

    Like David we dance with joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so wish I could play the spoons!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really not easy. He tried to teach us but...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love listening to her - one of my Chrostmas treats is to see her in concert - usually with the Carnival Band but last year The Steeleye Span 40th Anniversary tour.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!