Monday 4 January 2010

Well Preserved

DSCF0820

A couple of months back, I posted this 'teaser' picture of some of the gifts I had been making for Christmas.

Well, they all got given out, and we have returned from our Christmas break to some kind thank-you notes from the recipients. So here are the pictures of the finished items

This year I made Plum Jam, Norfolk Chutney [apple/onion base] Rowan Jelly, and Rosemary and Thyme Vinegar.

 

DSCF0814

And then I packaged the jars and bottles to give to friends and family. Some had a little carrier with one item, others had an assortment of items.

DSCF0822

I was really pleased with the plastic trays [which I got in packs of 4 in the Poundshop] and the crinkly cellophane bags came from Aldi.

I have just one jar of jam and one bottle of vinegar left for us!

Kirtsy Allsopp said "You should always give gifts you would like to receive yourself" - but I am not sure I agree with her on that. Bob gave me a lovely bottle of perfume [but he would hardly want that for himself] and often receiving a particular book is wonderful for the recipient, but something the donor would not want at all.

I think that if you know definitely what the recipient would like [and can afford it] then that is a good gift, and if you do not know, then food gifts or tokens [especially for teenagers] are usually welcome because they can be used and enjoyed.

kallsopp

 

[I have refrained from ranting about Kirsty's Homemade Christmas on the blog. But the woman did drive me potty with her crazily expensive ideas!]

 

Often the most treasured gifts are not the most expensive, but the simple things given with love and thought - tokens of the relationships between people.

Two friends gave me baskets of bulbs - and I loved arriving back this afternoon to find the pink and white hyacinths in bloom. There is snow on the ground now, but spring will be here before too long.

While the earth remains, summer and winter, seedtime and harvest will not cease

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Angela! Your gifts look wonderful and I'm sure were appreciated by all recipients. I love homemade gifts best and am patiently awaiting for one of my boys to knit me a sweater.

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsty Allsop annoys me on Location, Location, Location, so I am sure I would have joined you in my annoyance in her Christmas programme.

    I agree that we ought not give the gifts we would like to receive. Great gifts of course, but as you say what man would want perfume, earrings...etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your ideas, and I think everyone would love to receive something like that, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. One of the sweetest gifts I received this Christmas was a CD of Christmas carols from one of my students. He made it himself. Another wonderful gift was homemade almond pastry. It is my favorite and the student who gave it to me was thrilled, too! I love tiny, little simplicities. Your gifts are pretty and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments - I smiled at yours particularly Frances - presumably you are hoping your sons will master the art of lace knitting one day, even if such skills may not be in their genes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Ang but I loved Kirsty's home-made (which isn't cos she gets everyone else to do it lol!!!)
    Though I do take it with a pinch of salt - I've done stuff she's done before and I did it cheaper easier etc - the soaps & candles for instance.
    But I do like the programme - bit like turkey - a smidgeon for two days is lovely but no more all year thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!