Wednesday 7 August 2024

A Batch Of Borrowed Books

 APOLOGIES - I have managed to delete the post  whilst in the process of adding your comments!


Here is my latest stack of library books from the mobile van.


The Christmas Card book [why did I borrow that in August ? I hardly send cards anymore anyway] No new ideas, and required the purchase of various dies and stamps. **

The Vintage Sewing Book - interesting, fun, some useful ideas - but not really aimed at sexagenarian grannies! ****



The Sew Beautiful book was just that. Inspirational ideas, for eight basic garments with variations on sleeves, length etc.  And patterns included for tracing, Ideal for novice sewers - NO ZIPS, NO BUTTONHOLES. Very cleverly fitted. well thought out. *****




Rosie and I enjoed Ellas book - aimed at cross generational meal prep and planning , with easy to follow charts and recipes - stuff about nutrition and healthy eating*****

Slow Cooker Book. Better in the cold winter months I think but some interesting recipes ***

I have started the Val McDermid, and I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to the Robert Galbraith [aka JK Rowling] the next in the Cormoran Strike series. I did enjoy Tom Burke on TV playing CS!
I will give these their * ratings later!!

Sorry that the comments thus far have disappeared





22 comments:

  1. RETRIEVED Great selection of books from the mobile library. I love to look (and sometimes buy) craft books but usually from The Works when they are a reasonable price. I was just looking at a Luna Lapin one last night that I got for £5 instead of £14.99. I tell myself I am saving it from being pulped. Our new dishwasher was fitted by 8 15 this morning and the old one taken away. I stayed in bed and did Wordle until they were finished. Happy reading. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a £5 LL too! hope new d/w brings much joy

      Delete
  2. retrieved [sue]A good selection. I hope they make Running Grave into the next tv series soon. I really like Strike. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. RETRIEVED Val McDermid created a playlist to accompany 1979: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2fLAILGDmlRW98cNTOv4Ls

    ReplyDelete
  4. retrieved Hi Ang
    Is it a proper mobile library where you choose books there and then? Or do you order on line and then they come in a little van with your order? That is the system here and it works very well. I think I will try and order a couple of the books you have shown. Enjoy the cookery with Rosie Sue Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - We choose there and then - but we can give Mark an order and he will bring it next month.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great selection. I often choose to look at Christmas books in the summer, nearer to December they become more scarce in the library 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly like the waist/belt treatment on that
    blue dress in Sew Beautiful. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retrieved
    Didn't realise JK had a pseudonym. I must make some cards this holiday! Kezzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. She writes as RG so people won't assume it will be HarryPotterish

    ReplyDelete
  9. RETRIEVED Just the size of the Cormoran Strike book puts me off! I shall wait 'til they appear on TV - hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Sue, it is a thick tome. Like you I hope we see Tom Burke as CS on TV again soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. RETRIEVED
    Being able to 'try before you buy' is one of the many blessings of the library. Have fun cooking with Rosie KIRSTEN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes K, I rarely rush out and buy a book without reading it free first!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They did away with our mobile library a few years back. Miss stepping out of my front door and walking straight into the van full of fabulous books. The writings on the wall for our local libraries too it seems. Hours drastically cut and no more or very few Saturday openings. Sad state of affairs.i like your selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They wanted to close the library in our old village, but community volunteers managed to persuade leics libraries to keep it open

      Delete
  14. Ps what are your thoughts about buying books at author events? I went to see Keith Brymer Jones yesterday at our local Fringe festival and after the talk, he signed copies of his new book. My sister stood in the long queue to buy one for me but I said to her I'd order it from the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never seems worth it to me - I prefer to read a book before buying it anyway, and it does not add to the value of the book. I DO have a signed copy of a Delia Smith book, but by accident! I looked after my friends child so she could get a copy for herself, and asked her to get one signed for my Auntie Peggy. But she forgot my aunt's name, and got Delia to write "To Angela" instead. So I had to buy AP another Christmas gift!!!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!