Friday 23 August 2024

Lost And Found

 For my birthday two years ago, Bob bought me a Clover Mini Iron [they have gone up in price since!] and I made a storage bag for it from scrap fabric. When I was making the Museum Mice, I thought it would be useful for pressing narrow seams on tiny garments. But I could not find it, despite hunting high [the loft] and low [bottom drawers of wardrobe where I keep other craft bits] This was all a little bit frustrating. Where was it?

After Rosie's week with us, I decided to hunt properly. I started to empty everything out of the wardrobe onto the bed. But I kept getting interrupted. 

I put a sign on the door before the children arrived, explaining it WAS NOT SAFE

Finally yesterday morning I got around to going through all the boxes and bags. And I found the iron - bizarrely right at the bottom of a box labelled "paper and card" It has been a very positive exercise. 
I found  a total of 15 sharpies, in various pencil cases. I have corralled all my fabric marking pens [Frixion, water soluble, disappearing, heat transfer, laundry markers, tailor's chalk pencils etc] and they are neatly standing in one labelled  pot. All my card blanks and envelopes are on the same shelf.
As are all my beads in their little Tiptree Jam Pots. And I found some thread I bought in London last month.
I'm hoping to organise some serious crafting sessions once September starts, and get stock made for my shop, as well as planning the craft activities I'll be doing with the Brownies. 
Having everything tidied up will make it so much easier to get the jobs done. The iron is sensibly stored with sewing stuff, not papercrafting supplies.
And this weekend the grandchildren will be able to go safely into the room, to get the things stored in the toy rack. And Julian will be able to get into bed at night. The Keep Out sign has gone. 
I must try harder to maintain this tidiness.


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like what my husband calls 'a forensic search'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find deceased items at the bottom of it all

      Delete
  2. Well done sorting everything and getting things organized. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what comes to light in a 'tidy up'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are recovering from your fall - I'm being much more careful these days about not leaving boxes and bags on the floor where they become trip hazards

      Delete
  4. That all sounds like a job well done. I hate losing things, and usually find them in weird places or hidden in plain sight, right in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I often say "Where's the teapot, I can't see it anywhere in the kitchen?" and a patient voice tells me that it is right there, beside the kettle!

      Delete
  5. Now that we are home from being away in the Moho, I intend to do exactly the same thing! I need to see what I have in the way of Christmas stock for the class and also fabric to make things for my stall. The washing machine will do a few journeys while I tidy. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're enjoying this warm, breezy weather up there - my whirligig dryer is whizzing round this morning loaded with towels and bedding...

      Delete
  6. Well done. I often lose my tea cup and search all over for it. Have now realized I must first look in the microwave! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very satisfying I'm sure to get things sorted and put back together. I have some stray paperwork items that need to find the right homes. While looking for something in particular I was surprised to find things that were "at loose!"

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!